Likes Likes:  3,277
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 143 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    Hi Casey,
    I had a champagne Cortland Embassy (60 size, or whatever the 4-5wt size is called). I bought it on ebay for very little, and really thought it was a great reel. I switched it over to left hand wind, and the spool retaining nut would loosen from my knuckles hitting it. A bit of Loctite would have solved that, but I was dumb enough to sell it not long after buying it. It was a very classy reel, so enjoy.

thanks frank,
    i like the looks of the reel as well so if it functions as well as it looks than i will be a happy camper.
    i will rember the loc-tite trick as well
    not a bad purchase for 39 bucks.

casey

ARFE

$39 is a REEL deal! I just remembered that the spool nut is captive, so loctite wouldn't work. That won't be a problem for you, since it looks like you're set up for right hand retrieve. Keep in mind that I obsess sometimes, and the idea that my knuckles could knock the nut loose sent it back on ebay. I'm sure you won't have any problems, as the nut tightens when set for right hand retrieve.

Blog Entries

yea, i figured the nut thing out right after i sent my reply, so no worries there.
    it's a nice, lightweight reel with a drag, that hopefully, will stop a truck and be buttery smooth all at the same time. and a great classic look
    i would love a champagne one in the 3/4 size

casey

ARFE

This is a bit different.. A lamented lost reel. I got in a bind, and sold my Edward Vom Hofe 360 No. 1. Such a sweet little reel. I never fished with it, but loved to just hold it and admire the craftmanship. I sold it to a gentleman in Japan via Ebay. It posted to Minami-ku, which was the central area devastated by the tsunami. So sad on so many levels.

Last edited by mrfzx; 09-04-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: add photos
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

I just got home from a two day fishing trip and came home to three reels on my porch. A great trip followed by some presents on the porch, what else could a guy ask for? I needed a few reels for my 10wt rods, I found a deal on a Ross Canyon Big Game 6 and a TFO Hayden 1. I already have a BG4 so I knew what a great reel I was getting so no surprise there. But the Hayden, I realy liked what I found, beefy construction and a nice drag. I also picked up a Lamson Radius on the cheap for my 5wt, as well as an Allen Alpha 5/7(got this a little while ago) for my 6wt nymph rig. Now I have a reel for every rod, but since I'm a gear junkie who knows whats going to come next!

Blog Entries

wiwf'n ,
    nice set of reels you got there
    thanks for putting those beauties on here

casey

ARFE

Here's a reel you too can love. I had it up here for a while and thought maybe I'll bring back to peoples attention.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ross-reel.html
    Make reasonable offer and win!

Here's a photograph of my reels, for what I need they do the job fantastically.

I've enjoyed this thread much, there really are some beautiful reels out there.

9. Likes von behr liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
    This is a bit different.. A lamented lost reel. I got in a bind, and sold my Edward Vom Hofe 360 No. 1. Such a sweet little reel. I never fished with it, but loved to just hold it and admire the craftmanship. I sold it to a gentleman in Japan via Ebay. It posted to Minami-ku, which was the central area devastated by the tsunami. So sad on so many levels.

Hopefully it was in a safe, this is a museum piece. milt.

Blog Entries

I agree Milt, it is our only Vom Hofe reel on the thread. I like to hope it's out there somewhere. There have to be some other collector reels out there, how bout more pictures for us to gaze at with longing in our eyes...........

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 13 of 143 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast