Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3,296
Page 55 of 143 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

Wt Bash, I have to agree with your assessment of the OC 36. If I saw you on the river with that reel, I would lay mine in the grass out of respect.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

My new Hardy 3 1/8 mounted on a AJ Thramer Hollowbuilt Payne 102.

This is my Hardy LRH Lightweight. My Dad gave it to me for my birthday back in the mid-70's. It's what I use 98% of my fishing time, usually on my 7'9" Superfine. The other 2% I use my Hardy Featherweight on my 7'6" Superfine 3 weight.

4. Likes kelkay, Ard, caseywise, smog7 liked this post
    Blog Entries

wow, nice looking hardys guys!(the rods aren't to shabby either)

casey

ARFE

After months of agonizing what reel to get for my 8wt, I can honestly say it was totally worth it. My new Nautilus NV with some custom parts fresh out of the box. Tomorrow will be it's maiden run, rain or shine.

7. Likes kelkay, wishiniwerfishin liked this post

Congratulations. I like the blue drag and the S4s has, albit more understated, handsome good looks too.

9. Likes tennessee dave, grouch liked this post

My prized Hardy-made CFO's (both passed down by my dad, attached to these exquisite LL's)

These are the guys who have gotten me through the last 12 yrs... love me some Ross. That Canyon 2 is the first reel I bought myself (dad always had tons of gear and said it was foolish to buy more), and is semi-retired, had my name engraved on it to hopefully pass down to my kid. I learned more about fly fishing during the years I fished this reel as my everyday horse than I ever have, probably ever will again

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" - Lee Wulff

11. Likes Ard, kelkay, von behr liked this post
    Blog Entries

After a good deal of agonizing, I decided on a Hardy Ultralight 4000 DD to go with my St. Croix 486. After taking it out for a day, I now want to pick up a spare spool, to hold my 5wf line, and use this reel on both my rods, and toss that TFO NXT in the weeds! What a nice, light weight reel!

Chad

Blog Entries

Default Another Addition to The Martin Lineup;

Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's got to do with wanting to take a look at some things I missed along the way but at any rate I'm developing a collection of Martin Fly Reels. I've long enjoyed my MG-3 which came to me inherited when a very good friend passed away back in 1992. It didn't take long for me to realize that although not of the same level of engineering and finish the MG-3 was very much like an American issue of the Hardy reels that were so popular when I was young. While I lusted after the Hardy reels in several series I completely missed the Martin Lightweight Reels. Now some 35 years later I have acquired a taste for them and have what I think is the complete MG lineup. I've an MG-3, a #7 and a #9, the 9 is their salmon reel.

A few things make this a one of a kind reel in my collection. Most notably the drag system; it is a compression disc type which is ran by an oiled Rulon disc which is pressed between to thin stainless steel disc's to produce the drag. A little tinkering and I switched it from a right hand winder to my preferred left hand retrieve. The drag is quite strong, remarkably so!

I haven't gave it a cleaning yet but I did completely dismantle the reel to see what made it tick and to switch the retrieve direction. Behind the disc set which is held to the back plate of the reel by the snap retainer is a series of steel fingers which exert a level pressure to the rear of the disc component when the drag knob is turned to the 'More' setting. The reverse settings are achieved by removing the assembly on the back of the spool and simply flipping an inner bushing.

Here's the size comparison to the MG-3;

At 4 1/8" diameter with a one inch wide spool the MG-9 does meet the criteria for a salmon reel and I am happy to have it in the family here

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

14. Likes kelkay, von behr, argail liked this post

I have been wanting a MG 7 or 9. I am not sure on the sizes. I usually use 5-7 wt reels. But I have a few 8 wts too. I have maybe 3 light wt reels, and that is it. Nice collection you have there!
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

16. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 55 of 143 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast