Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3,285
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 86 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Welcome to the family T12.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Blog Entries

That's a whole lotta reel right there Swirl. Love the tight shot you posted of it.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    That's a whole lotta reel right there Swirl. Love the tight shot you posted of it.
    Thank You,
    I promised my two hander more surf time this year so I figured I'd get it a suitable mate. If your going to take long walks along the beach you should be in good company

did I go too far with the "Reel Love" thing?
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Blog Entries

Not even close to too far, at least by my standards. Looking at your photo of the T12 reminds me how much I love my T6. They're beautiful and well made reels that will undoubtedly put you and your two hander in good company.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

5. Likes swirlchaser liked this post

It's been a while since I posted an update to this thread, so I figured I'd add a couple from my March and April fishing excursions.

Sage 506 on a Sage SP 589-5, loaded with RIO Gold WF5

Sage 505L on a Sage ZXL 490-4, loaded with Airflow Ridgeline Tactical Trout WF4

Sage 504L on a Sage ZXL 486-4, loaded with RIO Gold WF4

Cheers,

Mike.

Blog Entries

Hi Mike,

You know why you like those reels so much don't ya? They were made by my favorite reel makers............... beautiful reels, if I had an old Sage rod I would need a reel like you have there for it for sure.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes chi flyfisher liked this post

Different ends of the spectrum but both Swirl's new Galvan; I like the way they engraved their name inside the hollow drag knob, good design..let us know how it feels attached to a mega stripper, and Chi, except for the nymph instead of a dry fly that is a beautiful outfit. One doesn't see a lot of those Hardy-built Sage reels around. For a non reel maker, Sage has exhibited solid good taste in reels branded by them illustrated by yours and including their current Korean ones. Though, remarkably, I don't own one, I caught my best permit ever on a borrowed Sage stacked drag reel mounted on a #9 TCR. I am going to attempt to improve on that next week and, in the unlikelihood I am successful, I will post an image of my current preferred reel for such fishing.

Mike, nice rigs! I'd really love to add one of those reels to 490 SLT. I see you've got a 505 490 Z, does it feel alright compared to the 504? I know the specs on these reels, how much size difference is there? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Mike, nice rigs! I'd really love to add one of those reels to 490 SLT. I see you've got a 505 490 Z, does it feel alright compared to the 504? I know the specs on these reels, how much size difference is there? Thanks!
    I'll try and shoot a picture of the 505L next to the 504L and illustrate the difference.

The 504 is rated at WF4/100. The 505 is rated at WF5/90. I prefer the 505L on the 490, the 504L felt just a little light to me, but understand that I prefer a little heavier reel than most. You will note on the pictures that I have a 506 on my SP 589-5. The 505L is actually perfect for that, but I put the 506 on it because I want to fish with it. Balance wise, it's a nice match for me but I think the 505L is better, especially because it's a shorter 5.

To provide you with an example that may help clarify how I like my reels, I have a Hardy Made CFO III. I hate it on my ZXL 486-4 because it's too light for me. I ended up putting that CFO on my 389-2 Sage LL which is a perfect fit for me. The 504L is perfect for that 486-4. It would fish fine for most on a 490-4 ZXL - but I like the 505L better. Confused

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
    I'll try and shoot a picture of the 505L next to the 504L and illustrate the difference.

The 504 is rated at WF4/100. The 505 is rated at WF5/90. I prefer the 505L on the 490, the 504L felt just a little light to me, but understand that I prefer a little heavier reel than most. You will note on the pictures that I have a 506 on my SP 589-5. The 505L is actually perfect for that, but I put the 506 on it because I want to fish with it. Balance wise, it's a nice match for me but I think the 505L is better, especially because it's a shorter 5.

To provide you with an example that may help clarify how I like my reels, I have a Hardy Made CFO III. I hate it on my ZXL 486-4 because it's too light for me. I ended up putting that CFO on my 389-2 Sage LL which is a perfect fit for me. The 504L is perfect for that 486-4. It would fish fine for most on a 490-4 ZXL - but I like the 505L better. Confused

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Clear as mud!! Thanks.

Page 86 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast