Ultralight Disc Drag Options: Sage 4230, Litespeed, Other

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I've got 7' 4wt that is a sub 2 oz rod. The other 4 wt reel I have is 4.6 oz, and it really is misbalanced on this light AND short rod. I really would like a center-line disc reel if I can find one light enough to balance. It seems that weight is no reason to choose click-pawl over disc since some of the disc reels are just as light now. It looks like the Sage 4230 and the new Litespeed Hard Alox come in at 3.75 and 3.5oz. respectively; and will hold a 4 wt line. Are there other options for a 4wt disc drag reel that weighs less than 4 oz? I am open to used/outdated models also, I'll probably be looking to pick this up used and cheap.

Any input/review on these two reels or suggestions of other options?

Last edited:

ausablebrown

Reaction score
If you want to go lighter, check out a Sage Click or Waterworks Purist. These reels weigh under three ounces.

Dennis
I don't think I need to go that light to balance this out; but I did want to get a reel about 3.5 for it. It felt pretty ballanced with a BBS 2 on the rod. And like I said, why not get a disc drag if you can find one as light as the click-pawl reels.

russellb

Reaction score
I agree, the Sage Click reels are a bit too light unless you get the Click V which may balance pretty nice- it's a bit over 2.5oz. But honestly I think the 4230 would be a fine choice, it's light, great drag, looks cool and the price is nice. The only question is which color?

wtex50

Reaction score
I have a 7 ft bamboo in a 4wt and I use a BBS III...and it balances perfectly.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I have a 7 ft bamboo in a 4wt and I use a BBS III...and it balances perfectly.
I'm going to guess that your bamboo is a little heavier than 1 13/16 oz.?? I've considered the BBS II because it felt good, but like I said, there are quality disc reels that are just as light and I prefer disc if I can have that luxury. It is a 4 wt and could be fighting a monster every now and again.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I just noticed that Nautilus shaved half an oz off of the FW when they turned out the FWX. It's only 3.6 oz now for a 3.25" LA 4 wt. Is anyone using one of these yet?

jaybo41

Reaction score
Ausable, I just found this post after commenting on your other thread asking for info on the 7' ft T. I have mine paired with a Litespeed 1.5, maybe overkill for our application but it sure does balance out the rod nicely. Also gives me piece of mind in the event that I hook up with a big fish.