Allen & Co reel? what do you all think?

ab fisher

Reaction score
i am in the market for a new fly reel for a couple of rods and stubled on to this company and ass checking out there gear. they reels looked like they were decently made reels and at a exceptional price to boot. does anyone own any of these reels? i am looking to get an xl and a alpha.

Thank You,

Austin

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Justin is supposed to send me one to review but he keeps selling all that he can get his hands on. Let us know what you think about the reel when you get it.

Frank

mojo

Reaction score
Frank, I have the 7/8. It's spooled up but I haven't used it yet. So far for the price, I'm impressed. It did come in with a right hand retrieve and I wasn't sure how to switch it over. Justin emailed me and he put up some instructions on how to switch it over. But with an 8w, I'm leaving it RHR. It's a lightweight, balanced reel with some tight tolerances. 3 years ago, I doubt if you could get a reel this good from China. Now it seems to be the norm.
This is THE REALreel you can not ill afford to get.

axle27

Reaction score
I ordered the 7/8. Justin is great to work with. Can't wait to spool up the reel and cast it to some lawn carp....if this snow would ever disappear.

diverdown

Reaction score
I ordered the 5/6wt XL and the 12/14wt Alpha. Very nice reels with a good drag. Justin was great to work with and very responsive to questions. Can not wait to try them out....Unfortunately the forecasts keep calling for more snow !!!

~S

ab fisher

Reaction score
i got mine last week and they are great feeling and operating reels one of the spools were bent and scratched the reel at fast speeds in and out so i emailed justin and he had a replacement in the mail asap. so far great reels and great guy hopefully going to get out sunday for some big browns and whities

axle27

Reaction score
Got my 7/8 XL in the other night. Justin gave me instructions on how to change it to left hand retrieve. If I wasn't such a moron, it would have gotten done before now.

It's a nice reel. Ultra light for a 7/8 wt reel. If I'm not mistaken, it's got a black anodized finish. I thought it was paint from the pics, but upon closer inspection, I can see some slight milling marks. Smooth as butter.

Mounted it on the 9' 7wt Avid just to see where it balanced at. It landed right at the hook keeper. I think with some line/backing, it'll hit the sweet spot right at the handle tip.

I'm considering getting another for my 5wt and selling the Ross Flystart I have.

mojo

Reaction score
i got mine last week and they are great feeling and operating reels one of the spools were bent and scratched the reel at fast speeds in and out so i emailed justin and he had a replacement in the mail asap. so far great reels and great guy hopefully going to get out sunday for some big browns and whities
ab, although I'm not politically correct, refined, nor a gentleman or scholar, I about gagged when I read your post. Please, next time a few periods, some capitol letters (where they belong) would really make your post more enjoyable to read. I'm glad I wasn't on oxygen when I read it, I would have passed out. That's the longest sentence I've tried to read in a long time.

Sincerely,
Sister Mary Elephant

axle27

Reaction score
That's funny, Mojo. I guess I must have breezed it....

:lol2:

ab fisher

Reaction score
ab, although I'm not politically correct, refined, nor a gentleman or scholar, I about gagged when I read your post. Please, next time a few periods, some capitol letters (where they belong) would really make your post more enjoyable to read. I'm glad I wasn't on oxygen when I read it, I would have passed out. That's the longest sentence I've tried to read in a long time.

Sincerely,
Sister Mary Elephant
haha my bad you would think i would add periods and capitals but for some reason i dont on forums. I guess i am just in to much of a hurry to post things to grammer check them.

balogand

Reaction score
So how do you guys feel about them? They look great. I am going to go ahead and pick up a 7/8 I think. I don't have much to compare it to however. I have had a few orvis reels of older vintage, and a pretty nice redington. Nothing in this size and large arbor except for my recent purchase of a sage 1680.

ab fisher

Reaction score
So how do you guys feel about them? They look great. I am going to go ahead and pick up a 7/8 I think. I don't have much to compare it to however. I have had a few orvis reels of older vintage, and a pretty nice redington. Nothing in this size and large arbor except for my recent purchase of a sage 1680.
i can only speak of the XL sense i havent got my alpha yet but man i can tell you that the XL is amazing. they are very smooth and sturdy reels. from what i have seen of the alphas' design they look like they will be even better. you will not be disappointed by no means

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi balogand,

Justin sent me a reel to review and I am working on that. I think it is a heck of a reel for the money. I say that based on its construction but I have not fished it. Only fishing it will tell us how good the drag is. I think it is worth the money even if it didn't have a drag.:)

Frank

diverdown

Reaction score
I ordered both a 5/6 XL series and a 12/14 alpha. Both are amazing. They are butter smooth and the drag feels great. I can not wait to fish them.

I've showed both reels to friends and family who have Orvis and GLoomis reels and these Allen reels stack up very nice. They were amazed at what I paid for them. I believe Justin will be getting purchase requests shortly.

~S

coldspring

Reaction score
I'm new to this sport, but I do like my Alpha 5/6. Well worth what I paid, after looking at different reels in shops.