Introductory Reel for a beginner..

smoky_hiker

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to fly fishing but not to fishing. I've been pan fish & bass fishing since I was a youngster but now I'm wanting to try my hand at fly fishing. I need some help in choosing some gear. My in-laws and I are heading down to the Smoky Mountain National Park in late June.

The target fish I'm going for are Brook, Rainbow & Brown Trout. But, I also want to use the rod & reel for my local (central Illinois) pan fish. So, I need them to be relatively versatile. I don't want to spend a fortune for a rod & reel in case fly fishing isn't my bag. I know most of you will be bias towards particular brands so the specs will do just fine. Any help with this would be great. Thanks.

sthpaw

Reaction score
I'd go with a 3 or 4 wt rod, 4 if the fish are a little bigger and 8 to 9 feet long, depending if you fish areas that are open or brushy. I think the longer rod is easier to cast unless you don't have room because of brush, etc. Lots of good rods and reels out there Echo, TFO, Redington come to mind as not expensive and good. Lots of other brands as well, just can't think of them and really any reel will get you started. No need for any super drag on these little reels a clicker or you can easily palm them. If money is a problem, PM me and I can send you a decent used reel to get you started, no charge. Hope this helps

jcw355

Reaction score
Do what I did and buy a combo from cabelas or bass pro. My thinking was if I didn't catch on or like fly fishing I wouldn't be out a lot of my fly rod. They have 4 piece combos with a case and line already on. Check the classifieds.

khl

Reaction score
I was in your position last year - interested in fly fishing but had done a bunch of bass and panfish fishing. I agree with the above posts regarding rod weight.

Anyways, the only insight I have to add is that there's a whole lot more selection in fly rods that come in 4 or more pieces. I find this makes the gear a heck of a lot more transportable - though rod tubes are now a necessity.

The one thing I did notice with fly fishing in streams and such was that there's a whole lot more hiking involved - which is a pretty good thing for my waistline :).

Given the hiking involved with stream fishing, I found that the experience is totally different to fishing for bass/crappie from a boat. If that's what you're planning on doing, I'd say look for a 4 piece rod.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy!

Kai

ghost_reaper

Reaction score
go to cabelas or a local fly shop and pick up the redington combo. Well worth the money and you'll get a higher quality rod so you can eventually upgrade the reel if need be.

I'd also recommend a 4 piece, 5wt 9 footer

The 4 piece is easier to store especially when hiking