Ultra light 2/3 wt reel

axle27

Reaction score
Anyone know of a decent 2/3wt reel that is real light weight? Light weight as in sub-4oz.

I got a 6'6" 3wt and the Cortland Crown 55 is a bit reel-end heavy for my taste. The line I'm using is a Cortland 10m DT with about 40 yards of backing.

halo7b

Reaction score
Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock Reel, weight is just over 3oz for the size I, for the II is 3.5oz. I have a few on my light weights and work just fine.
JS

tray

Reaction score
Sage 3100/3200 series reels....if you can find one...are super light weight. I use a 3200 alot.
Agree with blackbear. I just found a 3100 for my St. Croix Avid 3wt. and it balances very nicely. I think I got it for around $140.00.

Brewmaster

Reaction score
I will backup the Orvis Battenkill Barstock recommendations - I have three Orvis BBS reels on light and/or shorter rods (2wt, 3wt & 4wt in lengths 7'6" to 8'6"). They balance very nicely, smooth as silk, have a good drag (if required), and have basically been bullet proof for the years that I have been using them.

mhclayton

Reaction score
I put a Lamson Radius 1 on my 3 weight Scott F-series-- 4 ounces, made in the USA, and purchased on sale last year. Balances the 'glass rod well, but a little heavier than your average graphite stick.

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love my Galvan OB-1 it is rated at 3.9oz though.

Loop midge is rated up to 2wt line and is only 2.8 oz

Abel TR series are just at 4 oz and are nice

Orvis CFO I is under 4 oz.

fishiowa

Reaction score
The original Ross Evolutions are an option. The size 0 is 3.4 oz and the size 1 is 3.6 oz. The 2/3 weight would fall in the recommended line ranges for either. Can be found on closeout for $150 to $175 now. The new LT model is slightly heavier and has less capacity but still sub 4 oz.

caseywise

Reaction score
as dennis mentioned, the lamson/waterworks purist 1 is abouut as light as they come. 2.7 oz
another option is the cortland retro 1 reel. 2.9 oz.

casey

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Robert,

You know me and so you might guess that I would point toward an old Martin MG-3. You have to watch for them to come for sale on the auction site and then be prepared to pay 50 - 75 dollars for one but they make a great light reel. I would have to strip the line from mine to give a weight but they may be lighter than the Hardy Featherweight (under 3oz.) which they were meant to be an affordable second to. Very sharp reel with an adjustable spring & pawl check. :)

axle27

Reaction score
Man, I started this thread a while ago. Since then, I got a Fishon reel for my bamboo rod, and two (2) Orvis BBS reels (a I and a II).

Reactions: Ard

mudbug

Reaction score
Does anyone recommend the White River Ultra Light reel?

White River Fly Shop® Classic Ultra-Light Fly Reel | Bass Pro Shops

It weighs 2.4 oz. I have a 5'6" 3 wt that I need to balance. The price is only 99 bucks...but it's not a brand like orvis or sage, so I was wondering if it's better to just spend another 25.

It's definitely the lightest one I have seen thus far, which may work better for me tiny rod.

Cool, they brought it back.

I've seen lots of good things said about that reel and wanted one for my 1 wt but BPS quit carrying them for about a year. Maybe they did a re-work on them.

ETA: Yup, there was some re-design done on them Look at the pictures in this review, they look different

manotheskip

Reaction score
I'm definitely considering it unless I read or hear bad things about it...price is decent too...I'm more of a discount fly fisher!

rapid eddy

Reaction score
axle, one of my recommendations is the Fishon Bear Cub. Simple, economical but yet enough quality to hang in there for a long time. The last two i bought were $35 a copy.
Eddy

chuck s

Reaction score
I have several sub 4 oz reels. The most expensive is my P1 by Waterworks and then ranging from there down in cost to the Martin 60s I pick up from Ebay and all do the job. The martin is 3.7 while the P1 drops another ounce mol. For an reel that is in the middle cost wise and a superb value with a great long-time reputation go for the SA Sytem 2L 23:
System 2L Model 23L
Applications:
* The smallest and lightest reel in the System 2 family
* The perfect ultralight tackle for pursuing small trout and panfish

DRAG: Whisper-smooth single-caliper disc
CAPACITY: 50 yd/46m - 20 lb backing (WF-3-F)
WEIGHT: 3.6 oz/103g
DIAMETER: 2.69"/6.8cm
WIDTH: 0.5"/1.3cm

rapid eddy

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of a Vogue? Very small but very well built. Not cheap $ wise or in quality. I bought one for my 00 wt. I googled it but dont find anything. Nice reel.
Eddy

littledavid123

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of a Vogue? Very small but very well built. Not cheap $ wise or in quality. I bought one for my 00 wt. I googled it but dont find anything. Nice reel.
Eddy
Never heard of a Vogue Reel, sure it's not a rebrand for a particular store? You should post a pic in the "reel love" thread.

Dave