Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spooling Fly Reel ??

Recently picked up a Lamson Litespeed from a shop that had put backing and line on it. When I got it the line does seem to top out pretty close to the end. What is the standard rule if any on how far you can bring out the line without creating a problem.
    Last edited by Tracker12; 04-14-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

Default Re: Spooling Fly Reel ??

You want the remaining space to be the width of a pencil
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I fill mine as full as I can get them. Just so that the line to leader connection doesn't bind when I reel everything in. Some of my reels do bump a little when I reel in the leader but when I unspool enough to thread the rod all is well.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Depends. If you're fishing a narrow arbor reel, fill it up like Ard said. If you're using a wide arbor, and reel in like my wife, you run the chance of too much line building up on one side. I bought her an Orvis BBS IV for that reason, but she's back on the wide arbors.

I would say that if you need max backing capacity, get one size larger than you might ordinarily buy. I've never gone into my backing, but have had all my fly line out before. If a reel specs say 4-6, I'm not likely to put a 6wt line on it. I'd rather have a 6-8 reel for that line.

Blog Entries

There is not really a standard rule about this, but I prefer to leave some space. Line stacking drives me nuts. Rip's practice of having a pencil's width of room makes sense. On smaller creek reels, you probably get away with a little less space between line and rim.

MP
    Last edited by MoscaPescador; 04-14-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: had to clarify something

Hi Tracker 12,

I think you have gotten some good advise. I prefer to have more than less. I like about 1/4 inch. I would not fill it up like Ard suggested unless you have a lot of experience fighting fish. If you have not caught a lot of big fish, then there is the possibility that you will get excited and not manage your line too well as you wind in. You reel could bind up and break off a light tippet.

Frank

Well I have fought my fair share of big fish but not a lot on a fly rod. Maybe 30 or so Steelhead. So this brings up the point do you wind your line during a fight like you do on a level wind reel fingering the line to level it out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
    Well I have fought my fair share of big fish but not a lot on a fly rod. Maybe 30 or so Steelhead. So this brings up the point do you wind your line during a fight like you do on a level wind reel fingering the line to level it out.
    Tracker12: No I have never bothered fingering the line to level it out while trying to retrieve a fish. If you leave a little space as Rip Tide suggested you won't have any issues. If you load the reel as Ard suggested, you can still manage the line, it just takes a little more experience. In the past I have done it both ways, once you realize you have a reel that is a little overloaded you just learn to be a little more careful with it, or just take it all apart and take some of the backing off if it bothers you too much.

Larry

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I fill mine really full. I use my fingers to guide it back on as I fight the fish. Always have so I'm used to it. I have had fish spool me more than once, and hate it alot. I never want it to happen again. So far I have not had it happen with a fly rod, but better safe than sorry. For this very reason I like really big reels to.

Hi everyone,

I have always managed my fly line as I wind it on the reel. Both while getting the fish on the reel and while fighting the fish.

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast