Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Sage 4550

  1. Default Sage 4550

    Who's fished this reel? I don't find a whole lot of discussion about it.

    I'm considering this reel to match with a 590-4 ZXL, but I can't put my hands on one in my area and I'll need to order it on line. How does the drag compare to say... an Evolution LT or a Galvan Spoke/Torque? How's the balance? The weight seems about right to balance a ZXL or Z-Axis slightly tip high with backing/line? If you've fished one, has the exposed drag gearing presented any problems?

    My criteria for this purchase is: large arbor, excellent drag over full range, light weight but balance well for fishing all day, and quality construction. The fact that to me it is cosmetically very attractive in silver/black is also a nice bonus... something about the design is drawing me in, but I also need it to perform well too. My gut is telling me it's not a bad choice, but I'm nervous because I can't try one out.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,848
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Sage 4550

    Quote Originally Posted by turner66 View Post
    Who's fished this reel? I don't find a whole lot of discussion about it.
    I own a 2550 that I have a sinking line on. The difference between the two is the porting pattern on the spool, otherwise the drag system and the reel frame are identical.

    Quote Originally Posted by turner66 View Post
    I'm considering this reel to match with a 590-4 ZXL, but I can't put my hands on one in my area and I'll need to order it online. How does the drag compare to say... an Evolution LT or a Galvan Spoke/Torque?
    In regards to just touching the reels, I think that the Ross Evolution LT and the Galvans have a bit more breaking power on the higher end.

    In regards to start up from actually fishing, I think the Galvans are smoother.

    Quote Originally Posted by turner66 View Post
    How's the balance? The weight seems about right to balance a ZXL or Z-Axis slightly tip high with backing/line?
    I think its fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by turner66 View Post
    If you've fished one, has the exposed drag gearing presented any problems?
    None whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by turner66 View Post
    My criteria for this purchase is: large arbor, excellent drag over full range, light weight but balance well for fishing all day, and quality construction. The fact that to me it is cosmetically very attractive in silver/black is also a nice bonus... something about the design is drawing me in, but I also need it to perform well too. My gut is telling me it's not a bad choice, but I'm nervous because I can't try one out.
    There are a lot of good reels in the market. Even though I like the drag system on the Galvan, I'm sure that the Sage 4550 will fit your needs.

    MP

  3. Default Re: Sage 4550

    MP,
    Sorry for the belated acknowledgement, but thank you for your response. All things considered, I'm now leaning heavily toward the Torque T5. I think it fits my fishing situations best. Also, at the time I asked the question, I didn't realize these (Sage reels) were Asian made. I've decided I'll try to keep my contributions close to home if I can.
    cheers

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,848
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Sage 4550

    No worries, dude. Even though I do not use Galvans personally, I feel Galvan makes a fine product. Also its customer service is topnotch. If you ever have to call Galvan, you will most likely talk to a Galvan.

    Here in Northern California, Galvan Reels are the most used reels by guides. They and their clients use and abuse the snot out of them, and they keep working. If you need a testimonial, just ask Bigfly. He guides quite a bit, and he uses Galvan.

    MP

  5. Default Re: Sage 4550

    MP,
    You're spot on. I had a PM chat with Bigfly and between you 2 guys, I'm convinced Galvan is an excellent choice.

    By the way, I saw a green Abel Creek you posted in a picture a while back. Is that a current design. The porting looks different than the model now on their website? I recall thinking I liked the look of yours better than what I saw on their site... Maybe I just saw them from different angles and they are really the same?

    Cheers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,848
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Sage 4550

    I think that the smallness of the photo and the lighting conditions threw you off. It is the same porting as the current one in the catalog.

    MP

Similar Threads

  1. sage TXL 4wt
    By hooknladder in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM
  2. Reel for 8 wt Sage Launch or Sage Flight?
    By tonyb in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 07:54 PM
  3. Sage TCX
    By devon flyfisher in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 04:12 PM
  4. Sage XP vs. Sage Z-Axis?
    By Fly2Fish in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •