Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Redington Drift or Cortland Retro???

Default Redington Drift or Cortland Retro???

I want an affordable click and pawl reel, and these two look nice. Does anyone have experience with both? Dennis??? It's for an 8'6" ZXL 4wt. The Abel Creek LA looks nice as well, but I could get two or three Drifts or Retro reels for the price of one Abel. My wife fishes as well, so everything I get has to come in pairs. The Cortland reel is supposed to weigh 3.35 oz in the 4/5 wt size, but I want the more rugged of the two. There aren't any dealers in my area, so help. Oh yeah! Which is more likely to have a foot that fits in the narrow reel seat of a Sage rod? (Dennis again.... ) Judging from the photos I've seen, the Cortland is the classier looking reel, but neither holds a candle to an Abel. The idea of dropping $600 on two Abel light-duty reels is more than I can cope, so......

Blog Entries

Default Re: Redington Drift or Cortland Retro???

frank,
    i like the classic look of the retro as well. i may get one for my new 3 weight.

casey

ARFE

Blog Entries

Both reels will fit the Struble reel seat on the Sage ZXL.

I can't remember capacities, and I am too lazy this morning to look them up. They should be similar. Redington uses a mid-arbor design with a wider spool for its capacity. Cortland goes old school with a standard arbor design with a narrow spool for its capacity.

As for drag systems, they are simple click systems. One pawl up and one pawl down will determine direction. If I had to lean towards one for better quality of build on the drag, I'd lean towards the Cortland. It uses a beefier spring.

What it may come down to is which reel is better looking on your rod?

Dennis

Hey Guys,
    I'm this close to ordering two of the Cortland Retro reels. My problem is waiting for stuff in the mail: I HAVE ZERO PATIENCE! I've bought guitars from a dealer in Arizona before, and had them sent overnight and that wasn't fast enough.... I tried to find a local dealer, but the closest is in Ohio. I guess that would take two days, and I might be able to live with that. My wife didn't know I was planning to buy these, but once I showed her the pics this afternoon, she said, "Buy Them!" She's never met anything she didn't want to buy.