Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default what should I do with my broken redington red.fly2 7/8/9?

I've had it for a month, broke off the reel handle, which is actually cast into the spool. New spools are not available, although it may be that crosswater/pursuit spools could fit. Not sure.

Redington would cover under warranty, but it costs $30 for them to replace it. Not sure if the replacement is worth $30.

I attempted a repair using a wooden dowel, but not sure that the glue will hold it. I know it's not an expensive reel. I do own a Wright and McGill as well, but extra spools for that are quite expensive.

Any opinions on whether I should send it in for warranty replacement?

Default Re: what should I do with my broken redington red.fly2 7/8/9?

I picked up a new in the box on eBay last month $28.95 with free shipping. You can pickup a new spool at Redington at FishUSA.com - America's Tackle Shop! for 20 bucks. Good luck.

Rick

There are many reels that have handles that are added to the spool by use of a "bolt". I have an Okuma Integrity reel that is like that. It fits in one of the holes that's drilled in the spool. You could probably buy the handle assembly from another reel, like the Okuma, drill the damaged spool & add the new handle. Would be very easy to do, especially if you have a drill press or know someone who does.

onefpoot makes replacement handles intended for Medalists
    Replacement involves grinding off the old rivet head (dremel tool) that holds the broken handle then "popping" the replacement handle on per the instructions
    Might be more effort and expense than your reel is worth however

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart