Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

  1. Default Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    Hi guys,
    New to the forum, really love it!
    I bought a Z-Axis 590-4, my biggest purchase for fly rods. I've been struggling to find a reel for it and have been reading this forum for the past two days.
    I finally narrowed the choices down to the Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO.
    Would really appreciate your input and advice on these.
    I'm also open to other suggestions in the price range up to $250.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,246
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    Unless you're in a hurry I would shop eBay for a vintage / mint condition CFO IV. I use one on an old 9' PM-10 and it's a beautiful thing. The new rod you have will be a little lighter than my old one and this is good. My PM-10 is still a little tip heavy once you string the line up. With the lighter shaft on yours the CFO IV should be about perfect. If you choose to go with the Hardy look to the LRH lightweight rather than the Feather. It is a good match to 9' 5 weights.

    Ard

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bennington, VT
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    What Ard said, absolutely (CFO IV)! And oh, man, do I love PM-10"s! Wish they still made them!
    Gary

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,848
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    The five weight. This is the rod in which one has to make the decision to have an old school click and pawl or a modern disk drag. Think of it this way. If you plan to fight the fish with the rod and only need enough drag to keep the reel from free spooling, go with a click and pawl reel. If you plan on using a drag system to complement the rod when fighting a fish, a disk drag is very helpful.

    I am part of the click and pawl group. Like Ard mentioned, the LRH Lightweight would be the better reel. It will balance the rod better.

    If you don't mind spending some extra coin, consider an Abel TR2. It is an American made click and pawl reel that you can pass down to generations. I use one on my 5 weight Z-Axis as my slime line stillwater reel. Brand new, a TR2 in black costs $270. You can find one used under $200.

    If you want to spend a bit more, consider an Abel Creek Large Arbor 2.

    Dennis

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    On a trout stream/Suburban Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,358
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    First off congratulations on your purchase. I have the same Z Axis rod and it has become one of my favorites. Solid advice thus far from all--not surpising on this board the group is one of the more helpful and useful forums I have found for fly fishing. Mosca hit the nail on the head in deciding to go with click & pawl or drag. Think about what species of fish you are targeting and the type of water you will be fishing when you make your choice.

    I mostly throw my 5wt fishing larger streams/rivers, when I need to throw longer line (not the accomplished caster as some are here) and it's wonderful for streamers. The Z is a very versatile fly rod though, and I think you'll find that you can also turn over a very small dry fly with it as well. I am targeting trout and ocassionally smallies so I prefer a drag.

    I have mine paired with a Ross Evolution LT #2 and really love this setup. $285 is just a little bit more than your budget of $250, but if you are considering a reel with drag, the Evo is certainly worth a look. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

  6. Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Unless you're in a hurry I would shop eBay for a vintage / mint condition CFO IV. I use one on an old 9' PM-10 and it's a beautiful thing. The new rod you have will be a little lighter than my old one and this is good. My PM-10 is still a little tip heavy once you string the line up. With the lighter shaft on yours the CFO IV should be about perfect. If you choose to go with the Hardy look to the LRH lightweight rather than the Feather. It is a good match to 9' 5 weights.

    Ard
    Thanks for your input Ard. How often does the CFO IV show up on eBay? I'm also unclear about vintage vs. non vintage, are all CFO IV considered vintage because they're discontinued? Or only the ones made in England a certain year are vintage? Found this on eBay :Made in England Orvis Barstock CFO IV Fly Reel - eBay (item 110725706748 end time Aug-13-11 07:57:39 PDT) is this one of them?
    Thanks, again for your help.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,760

    Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    Orvis has the BBS IV on sale right now for $129. While it's no longer made in England, it's a very good reel: machined, handsome, drag with a clicker, lightweight, and holds plenty of backing for a 5wt line. Orvis assigns line weights to their reels that are entirely unrealistic IMO. Orvis says the BBS III will hold a 7wt line, but it has a narrow 3" spool. I've owned made in England BBS reels, and the line designations were lower back then. The BBS IV has a 3 3/8" spool that's about .75" wide. That's dandy for a 5wt, and I had one on my 590 Z-Axis. The Z-Axis has a U-20 Struble reel seat, and many reels have a foot that is too thick to fit well. The Orvis fits perfectly. Buying a new Orvis gives you a lifetime money back guarantee, and that might be something to consider as well.

  8. Red face Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    First off congratulations on your purchase. I have the same Z Axis rod and it has become one of my favorites. Solid advice thus far from all--not surpising on this board the group is one of the more helpful and useful forums I have found for fly fishing. Mosca hit the nail on the head in deciding to go with click & pawl or drag. Think about what species of fish you are targeting and the type of water you will be fishing when you make your choice.

    I mostly throw my 5wt fishing larger streams/rivers, when I need to throw longer line (not the accomplished caster as some are here) and it's wonderful for streamers. The Z is a very versatile fly rod though, and I think you'll find that you can also turn over a very small dry fly with it as well. I am targeting trout and ocassionally smallies so I prefer a drag.

    I have mine paired with a Ross Evolution LT #2 and really love this setup.
    $285 is just a little bit more than your budget of $250, but if you are
    considering a reel with drag, the Evo is certainly worth a look. Good luck in
    your search and let us know what you end up with.
    Thanks, Jaybo. My Z is coming tomorrow and I can't wait to see it! Actually, tomorrow is here already, woke up in the middle of the night and been looking for reels and not realizing it's already 5 am PT
    I did look into the Ross Evolution, but forgot why I abandoned it. Probably because of pricing. I also prefer gears made in the USA and then made in England in that order. I'll have to look at the Ross Evolution again.
    I mostly fish rivers and streams for trout and the reels I have now are click and paw that I use with my 4# Thomas & Thomas. I'm curious to try a drag to see what it's like. However, the CFO IV Ard suggested sounds intriguing. I'm not sure if I have the patience to wait for one to show up on eBay
    Will let everyone know which reel I decide on. Thanks, again for your input. This forum rocks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,760

    Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    Sending you a PM on the CFO IV (made in England).

    I also had a Ross Evolution on the Z-Axis. The 3 size works best with the new LT, as they hold less backing than the older Evolution. There is a Ross Rhythm and spool listed in this forum's Classifieds, and that's the same reel as the older Evo, but with less holes. They are excellent, and that is the size I bought for 5/6 wt rods.

  10. Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    Sending you a PM on the CFO IV (made in England).

    I also had a Ross Evolution on the Z-Axis. The 3 size works best with the new LT, as they hold less backing than the older Evolution. There is a Ross Rhythm and spool listed in this forum's Classifieds, and that's the same reel as the older Evo, but with less holes. They are excellent, and that is the size I bought for 5/6 wt rods.
    Hi FrankB2,
    Thanks for the pm. What's your review of the Ross vs. other brand reels?
    I will definitely look at the Ross again.
    Thank you for your help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Loomis guru or Orvis large arbor battenkill?
    By southerfly in forum Fly Reels
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 04:23 PM
  2. Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor vs. Lamson Guru
    By tully mars in forum Fly Reels
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 03:33 PM
  3. Orvis Battenkill or Lamson Guru?
    By bpfohler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •