Orvis deals.

joshgamble

Reaction score
Trying to decide between an Orvis mid arbor and the barstock reels. Only reason I am exclusively looking at these is because they have a deal now where you get a free spool with it.I was hoping to mainly (80%) fish freshwater around CT with it, but also occasionally saltwater in the LI Sound. Am I being over ambitious? Which one should I get? Are there other options,keeping in mind the extra spool. I have a 5wt rod right now, so thats the line I am using for now.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Josh,

If your rod is a 9 foot 5 weight I would buy either of the reels but go bigger than normal for a five weight. Having a reel that is a 7 wt size on a five weight rod is not a big problem and when you are ready for a seven weight for salt fishing you'll already have a reel.

Most 5wt reels are a bit on the small side and with a nine foot rod having the line strung up the rod seems a tad tip heavy. A larger reel will balance out the rod just fine and with the extra spool you can go rod shoping.........

Ard

joshgamble

Reaction score
Oh boy..Iwarned my wife it was a slippery slope, flyfishing. Buy rod and reel,upgrade reel,buy bew rod etc etc...lets go for a ride.:grin:

boser

Reaction score
Josh, That a boy, now you've got it !!!! Welcome to fly fishing. Ard is correct though about the balance and versitility of choosing a larger reel.....

Best Regards, Boser

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course it does, ;)

Just be sure to fill the spool with plenty of backing with either line. I use a Hardy Princess on one of my six weights and they are a 3.5" reel and I keep an Orvis CFO IV for my 9' 5 wt. I wish it were a CFO V so it would be a little bigger and heavier. Glad to hear you settled on a reel and got a good deal.

Ard