Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Orvis deals.

Default Orvis deals.

Trying to decide between an Orvis mid arbor and the barstock reels. Only reason I am exclusively looking at these is because they have a deal now where you get a free spool with it.I was hoping to mainly (80%) fish freshwater around CT with it, but also occasionally saltwater in the LI Sound. Am I being over ambitious? Which one should I get? Are there other options,keeping in mind the extra spool. I have a 5wt rod right now, so thats the line I am using for now.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Orvis deals.

Josh,

If your rod is a 9 foot 5 weight I would buy either of the reels but go bigger than normal for a five weight. Having a reel that is a 7 wt size on a five weight rod is not a big problem and when you are ready for a seven weight for salt fishing you'll already have a reel.

Most 5wt reels are a bit on the small side and with a nine foot rod having the line strung up the rod seems a tad tip heavy. A larger reel will balance out the rod just fine and with the extra spool you can go rod shoping.........

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Oh boy..Iwarned my wife it was a slippery slope, flyfishing. Buy rod and reel,upgrade reel,buy bew rod etc etc...lets go for a ride.

Josh, That a boy, now you've got it !!!! Welcome to fly fishing. Ard is correct though about the balance and versitility of choosing a larger reel.....

Best Regards, Boser

Cool...I went out and got me a Orvis MA 7-9wt reel....so that means I am gonna catch more fish right?....LOL

Blog Entries

Of course it does,

Just be sure to fill the spool with plenty of backing with either line. I use a Hardy Princess on one of my six weights and they are a 3.5" reel and I keep an Orvis CFO IV for my 9' 5 wt. I wish it were a CFO V so it would be a little bigger and heavier. Glad to hear you settled on a reel and got a good deal.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Am late responding here, but from personal experience it would be hard to beat the Orvis BBS with free spool. A great reel, even not considering its great value, and with a free spool, better yet.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2: