Hardy bros information

Chris Hewett

Reaction score
I have a WWII era Hardy that I am having a hard time identifying exactly because it seems to be a somewhat rare model (at least that is what I can gather from a couple of pictures I found on a fishing museum site).
Does anyone know of a source for information on various models of Hardy reels?
thanks

Fish Bones

Reaction score
David:

Can you give me a little more info? Are there any writings or tademarks on it at all? Is it metal or brass or what? What is the exact width and diameter? Does it have a line guard? Does it have a horseshoe or telephone style spool latch?

Chris Hewett

Reaction score
I have a bunch of information. I'll try to be concise but my terms may not be correct.
marked as 3 1/2 " diameter
It has three straight lines of marking on the back. the top one is Hardy Bros.
I can't remember the other two (I am not at home right now) but I think the bottom line is "England".
Inside are the reel makers initials "js" (he worked there for 45 years or something)
The line guard is circular and looks to me to be nickle silver
Here are the really unusual and salient things.
The spool is solid, no vents, and has no markings on the face. It is an aluminum color but may be an alloy of some sort. The handle is white but I don't know the material.
The spool is held on by a screw which screws into the center post. The screw has finger knurls but also a straight slot.
The spool fits over the center post and rests on a raised washer like flange that fits into a recess in the spool inside the diameter of the spool gear.
There are no ball bearings.
The "break" mechanism has two triangular metal pieces that click on the gear on the back of the spool and are tensioned by flat springs which are adjusted on one side by a brass cam and thumb screw.

The museum identified similar reels as being an uncatalogued model known as "the fly reel". Seems a bit vague for a company that has names like St John, St George and Princess. The pictures weren't clear enough to know if that is what this is or not but it did not seem to match the other models.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Hardy did make a fly reel that they called "The Fly Reel". It is rare and was made in about 1947 and does have a nick-silver line guard. That's about all the information that I have on that particular reel. According to my source "The Fly Reel" is worth about $500 in excellent condition. Now... I certainly cannot guarantee that’s the reel you have but it does seem to fit the description.

I hope this helps.

Chris Hewett

Reaction score
It does help. At least I know I am not way off base.
The reel is certainly not in excellent condition or even good condition, for that matter. It has been fished hard in the past and shows it. I had to strip three different kinds of rotten backing and a couple hundred yards of monofilament off of it. Because it is a more "rare" model, I may decide to hang it on the wall instead of fish it.... or I may not. The chance to fish with a vintage Hardy doesn't come along very often and it is tempting.
Thanks very much for checking into this for me
S N

DAVY WOTTON

Reaction score
Ok, this guy knows all there is to know about vintage tackle.
His name is Chris Sandford.
You can follow this up by e-mail to markb.ffft@btinternet.com.

Mark is the editor of a UK Fly Fishing magazine, Chris writes a regular feature on vintage tackle in that magazine.

Send a picture with all details to Mark and he will sort that out for you ok.

Davy.

Chris Hewett

Reaction score
Thanks for the really great lead.
I will do that ASAP.
It is amazing what information is available on this forum.

Snuffy

Reaction score
Go to the Hardy website in the U.K. They have a page
that lists all the old Hardy reels. Good luck.

Snuffy

Snuffy

Reaction score
As an after thought. A friend sent me a Hardy reel and spare
spool that belonged to his Grandfather. He does'nt fly fish and
thought I might enjoy it. The reel is a Marquis. Made from 1977 to
1999. It is an entry level Hardy but still a good reel. I attempted
to get infor about the reel from Hardy USA, and they referred me
to Hardy in the UK. They have a great site. Cheers,

Snuffy:icon_smil

Rayvyn

Reaction score
Anyone know any details on the early "St George" reels?? I have an old one but see no serial number anywhere... It has a Brit Patent number and I think it says it is a 3 Inch (Not positive on the stamped number)... The rod it came from was an early 60's Fenwick so I'd guess it is about the same period...