Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bauer M4

Default Bauer M4

I have a chance at a Bauer M4 at a very good price. Can anybody give me the low down on these reels? Quality, endurance, drag, warranty....?
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bauer M4

I have found the MacKenzie reels (and the Super Light version) to be very reliable. But unlike many newer sealed maintenance free reels, it needs to be maintained for it to last. The cork needs to be reconditioned once a year with neatsfoot oil or similar lubricant. The internal workings of the drag mechanism should be lubed.

The drag system has a lot of range to it. It won't free spool at its lighter settings, so one can set the drag much lighter than other reels on the market. That allows for fine tippet protection. If one wanted to lock up the drag, it could be done (I would not recommend it).

Bauer stands behind its warranty. I have sent maybe two or three MacKenzie reels for warranty or service for some of my customers. Every one was sent due to some sort of user abuse. Each time, Bauer fixed the reel without question.

My M5SL is used on my 6 weight Spey rod. It has battled many American Shad, local big river trout, and Steelhead. The reel is still performing as well as it did on my first day fishing with it. My friends keep on telling me that I should be fishing Spey style with a Hardy, but my Oregon made reel matches perfectly with my Oregon made rod.

Dennis

Default Re: Bauer M4

Thanks Mosca, that is good information to know. I think I'll buy it. I am familiar with maintaining the cork on Islander reels, so I guess it should be about the same. Thanks again.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.