Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Is there are reason for this?

  1. #11

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
    ausablebrown, you may certainly be correct in your thought here! I only used that 1/10 oz number because seems like weight specs are only listed to the nearest 1/10 oz, I don't know what the actual weight difference might be. Still, seems to me like some folks are anal about any extra weight these days!

    mrfzx, sounds like the start to a new venture, all you have to do is buy every reel currently made, several models of the most popular previously made reels, and provide the appropriate larger handle & counter weights for each of them!

    Sounds simple enough!
    Ouch! My aching checkbook! Of course it sounds like a reasonable excuse to tell my wife for buying new tackle!
    Homer

    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

    Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

    Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Akron Ohio (don't let that fool you)
    Posts
    1,987

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    I'm not trying to be cross or start any argument here but is there really a need to put a fish on the reel when we're taking 2-4 weight? Gary is salmon fishing so I get it there, but even if a fish willingly takes up the slack on its own I still strip the line in. When a fish all the sudden does a kamikazi run straight at you a 3" diamter "large arbor" isn't going to be much help. The main benifit, in most trout fishing situations, to a large arbor is a little less line memory, then again if you take the time to give your line a good stretch before you wade out the coils aren't that big a deal. Just my .2 cents.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia Pa
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
    Of course it sounds like a reasonable excuse to tell my wife for buying new tackle!
    Note to Mrfzx - Never, EVER tell the wife about buying new tackle. There are ways and means to add it to the collection without causing suspicion.
    Telling will cause a greater OUCH on the wallet than the tackle itself!

    All my stuff 'i've had for years and years'

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    you would be off balance with your spool counterweight by some amount
    I would think it would be hard to notice unless you had a real big fish ripping line off like a rocket, and even then it would just add to the fun when it started to shake like the spin cycle on the washer.

  5. Likes mtowner23 liked this post
  6. #15

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    I'm not trying to be cross or start any argument here but is there really a need to put a fish on the reel when we're taking 2-4 weight? Gary is salmon fishing so I get it there, but even if a fish willingly takes up the slack on its own I still strip the line in. When a fish all the sudden does a kamikazi run straight at you a 3" diamter "large arbor" isn't going to be much help. The main benifit, in most trout fishing situations, to a large arbor is a little less line memory, then again if you take the time to give your line a good stretch before you wade out the coils aren't that big a deal. Just my .2 cents.
    It's not really necessary, but if I have very little line out already, why not reel up 3 feet and put the fish on the drag. Or a 3 lb fish takes you for a rid on your 3 wt...it happens from time to time. But more importantly, you will have to use the reel to retrieve the line every time you use your hand to strip it off; whether it is with a fish on the other end, or reeling in the 70 feet that you just cast out, why not have a better grip than a worse one?

  7. #16

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    The handles are purposefully made small to reduce the risk of the line hanging on it while casting. Orvis even states this in the description of their tapered handles. I have hung on the handle several times, but have an excuse...I'm a noob.

    Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

    Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    sycamore, illinois
    Posts
    4,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    The handles are purposefully made small to reduce the risk of the line hanging on it while casting. Orvis even states this in the description of their tapered handles. I have hung on the handle several times, but have an excuse...I'm a noob.

    Dave
    nice answer


    ARFE

  9. #18

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    The handles are purposefully made small to reduce the risk of the line hanging on it while casting. Orvis even states this in the description of their tapered handles. I have hung on the handle several times, but have an excuse...I'm a noob.

    Dave
    I never thought of that, but I dont' see it as much of a problem personally. I have snagged the handle before, heck I've wrapped the whole butt end of the rod with my stripped line! I'm not convinced and my campaign of griping will continue! lol!

    ---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    I would think it would be hard to notice unless you had a real big fish ripping line off like a rocket, and even then it would just add to the fun when it started to shake like the spin cycle on the washer.
    True; I guess it only registers when those idiots test the drags on reels by puling out with a speeding motorcycle! They sit there and complain about how much their arms were shaking about.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bennington, VT
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    This could get to be a lively thread! I am glad I have a pretty good arsenal of English Orvis BLA's, for sure. I've not encountered the line/knob entanglement issue yet, but there's always a first time!

    Actually, there's an Orvis mid-arbor sitting here on my desk, and it has that nice big handle like the BLA! I use those down to my small trout rods, so I guess I'm good to go!

    This realization will give me great comfort in about 10 days while they saw off my old hip and stick in a new one. (I knew I'd figure a way to whine about that sooner or later!)
    Gary

  11. #20

    Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
    This could get to be a lively thread! I am glad I have a pretty good arsenal of English Orvis BLA's, for sure. I've not encountered the line/knob entanglement issue yet, but there's always a first time!

    Actually, there's an Orvis mid-arbor sitting here on my desk, and it has that nice big handle like the BLA! I use those down to my small trout rods, so I guess I'm good to go!

    This realization will give me great comfort in about 10 days while they saw off my old hip and stick in a new one. (I knew I'd figure a way to whine about that sooner or later!)
    Gary
    I guess the new ones have sensible handles as well! Well that just stinks Gary, you already missed most of this years fishing (but you seemed to make the most of your Maramichi trip). Now you'll be out of bird hunting too I assume? Back in commission by spring?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 02:42 PM
  2. What is the reason for having a 7ft or a 9ft rod?
    By tgoodwater2002 in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
  3. Jamaica - Any reason to take my rod/reel?
    By doneitall in forum Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •