Ross Evolution LT vs Lamson Litespeed

auntrout

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my Ross Colorado on my Sage 590-3 LL. Appreciate any thoughts or feedback on the Evolution LT or Litespeed.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'm betting weight isn't a major concern. I fish my Colorado 2 on my 490-3 LL and it balances perfectly IMO.

I think the reels are pretty equal, except that the Litespeed has the Type 3 anodization which is harder. The Lamson drag is more proven by time, but the drag on my Evo LT landed the porker redfish you see below, so I fully trust it.

I'd say pick the one that balances your rod better, and that might be the #3 size.

Side note- if the ideal balance seems to be halfway between the #2 and #3 Litespeed, that means the #2 Velocity is likely perfect, as its right in between them weight wise.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Both are fine reels. You may want to choose on which one looks better with your rod.

One quirk about the Lamson Litespeed. The reel handle and the drag knob are smallish. If you have big hands, you may not like those pieces.

As for long term durability, my first generation Litespeed 3 is still going strong.

Dennis

BigCliff

Reaction score
One quirk about the Lamson Litespeed. The reel handle and the drag knob are smallish. If you have big hands, you may not like those pieces.
But, the handle is hourglass shaped.

On the Evo LT, its conical, and cold wet fingers can slide off. I even emailed Ross about getting the handle from the Momentum for it, and they said nuh-uh. Keeping weight down and all that, I suppose.

Pick your poison, I guess.

auntrout

Reaction score
Appreciate all the good feedback. I have to take my rod down to the local fly shop and see which feels the best. I do like the looks of the Ross Evo LT, similar to the Galvan Torque, but less money. Anyone have experience with the Torque?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Galvans are built bomber tough. They have smooth starting drags that have a full range of adjustability. They are extremely popular with the guides here in California. Keep in mind that they can get any reel from any manufacturer, but they go with Galvans. If you want a testimonial, contact Bigfly here on the forum.

I say this over and over again. Galvan is a family run business. If you ever have to make a call for service, you may get a Galvan. They put their souls into their products.

Dennis

auntrout

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. A co-worker has a Torque and just rants and raves about it. I mainly fish the Eastern Sierras and I've seen some of the guides using the Torque, just like you mentioned.

caseywise

Reaction score
you can't go wrong with the ross or lamson models, as both are fine reels. the aforementioned galvan model would be a fine reel as well (a tank, as mentioned by MP).
i'm partial to the conical drag system on the lamson, but that's just my personal preference.

casey

Tracker12

Reaction score
I have the Litespeed and the old version Evo. If I had to choose it would be hard to make a decision. I like the finish on the Lamson but the Evo is just a finely crafted reel and the drags are awesome. I use mine for steelhead and it never lets me down.