The new Hardy's

littledavid123

Reaction score
Nicely done by Hardy, only wish they would make one without the bright and shiny finish.

Thanks for the post Mojo

Dave

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I agree about the bright finish...a little more muted, say about the same as on the reel seat of the Hardy Zenith that they are the natural match for. They are very smooth and consistant performers, I used one all last season. And they have a big +; though extra large arbored, they also feature a NARROW spool width thus avoiding the potential for uneven line build up common on the shallow and wide large arbor reels.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Great design, but the BLING might look out of place in the 'Burbs. If you have gold crowns on your front teeth, this would be ideal! :D I was thinking that maybe Hardy would tone down the finish after a while, but they do have some flashy reels....

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Time marches on and the reel designers & makers at Hardy along with it so it seems. I'm glad I developed a taste for the old style reels. I read the text on the introduction page and then looked at the reel cases sitting on my desk and realized that none of my reels are 'aggressive or sexy' :eek: This led to deeper thoughts about all my tackle and I'm afraid none of it meets that criteria ;)

caseywise

Reaction score
not bad, not bad.
being a lamson:thumbsup: guy, i can appreciate the radical design of these reels.
although i wouldn't classify any of lamsons as "sexy", they do share some of the new age aesthetics of the new hardy's.
a far cry from the reels ard adores, but as they say, beauty is in they eye of the beholder.;)

casey

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This is why Hardy has no intention of dumping their classics. When you go to their site you actually have to click on seperate catagory tabs for the classic and new performance reels. And I don't consider it odd at all to use a click and pawl Hardy with patina on a small stream and a (too) shiney, sealed multi-disc drag on a bigger water outfit where rapid retrieve and more powerfull drag is advantagous.

Regarding the above comparison to the Waterworks reels: True, they are both modern light weight skeleton designs but the principal diffrences are in the drag design and the all-important aspect ratio. The Hardy has a sealed multi-disc array while the Waterworks has a non-sealed brace of nestled cones and the Hardy is narrow for uniform and intuitive line retreaval while the Waterworks is wide and shallow requiring attention be paid to avoid uneven line build-up. I do believe the Hardy designers looked carefully at the competion and strove to improve the performance envelop rather than just have a new price point product.

Lastly, Hardy Reels, I find it implausable that any aspect of a sport featuring grey haired men in baggy waders wandering around in cold water at dawn can ever legitimatly be described as "sexy".

caseywise

Reaction score
Regarding the above comparison to the Waterworks reels: True, they are both modern light weight skeleton designs but the principal diffrences are in the drag design and the all-important aspect ratio. The Hardy has a sealed multi-disc array while the Waterworks has a non-sealed brace of nestled cones and the Hardy is narrow for uniform and intuitive line retreaval while the Waterworks is wide and shallow requiring attention be paid to avoid uneven line build-up. I do believe the Hardy designers looked carefully at the competion and strove to improve the performance envelop rather than just have a new price point product.
i was merely comparing the design similarities between the two.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

good point on the spool design of the hardys.:D

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Casey, I too was comparing them but, perhaps, more criticaly. As I have said before, I have yet to find a perfect reel (no pun intended on the Perfect, which I find low in line capacity and too loud despite its obvious charms). I hope that if we intelligently discuss the shortcomings of the quality products designed for fly fishing that the makers will take heed and continue to refine and redesign their offerings.

I am taking a new reel fishing tomorrow which claims to be "the best". I'll report upon my return in a week.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
In an earlier thread it was pointed out by a user that the Waterworks reels were sealed only when assembled. Removing the spool, as in clearing contamination following an accidental dunking in marl, sand or mud, exposes the one-way bearing and thus presumably the cones as well to the elements. I have never used one of their reels because of the too (for me) wide and shallow aspect ratio so I know little of the inner workings but if the above is inaccurate please correct me as I would not want to misslead anyone or disseminate false information.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

I am going to go to their web-site and do some homework. S+S

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
OK, Tim, a very knowlegeble technical person at Waterworks explained that all fly reels that claim "sealed drag" are using the term a bit like "water proof". Any drag that can be user dissassembled is not really "sealed". Waterworks are functionally sealed when assembled, less so with the spool removed. Tim suggested that, due to the open skeleton design of their reels, the spool need not be removed to rinse a befouled reel; sand or mud can simply be swished off with the reel assembled protecting the one-way bearing and drag elements.

Regarding my issue with their wide/shallow aspect ratio; Tim acknowleged that with trout fishing, uneven line retrieval is usually not a big issue, however, with salmon, steelhead and, even more so, saltwater speedsters, extra attention is clearly required to regain backing and line in such a way as to not jam a pillar. A new model, he hinted, is soon to be introduced to address this concern...remeber reel guys, you heard it first from sweetandsalt.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I agree that they look pretty amazing for the price, but I'm also one that would prefer they be less bright.

Now make the click version with nice tough/dull type 3 anodization (aka "hard alox") and you've got the perfect small stream reel.

(but that probably would add $20, and they figured hitting a price point was more important)

mojo

Reaction score
I'm reading posts that people don't like them because they're too bright. Seriously, how long do you think it'll be before it starts to dull. Unless they use a clear coat. Plus, I really doubt the fish will complain if they're too bright.
But you have to like what you throw.