More ALLEN

Joni

Reaction score
I just wanted to give thanks again to ALLEN flyfishing. I now have six reels. Three are older. One of the older no longer had a drag but I thought it was my fault. I didn't give it much thought as I have a couple Vosselers that are drag free.
One day I get an e-mail from Evan saying he would like to fix that drag and upgrade the other reels...out of the blue!
So, after using the reels all summer I boxed them mup and shipped them off. 7 days later, there they are on my poarch all fixed and tuned up.

I say thank you, and awesome customer service Evan.

I will be buying more!

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I have to echo Joni's sentiments, Allen has the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with and Evan and Justin are both great. I'm definitely locked in as an Allen customer, I just have to decide what's coming next: a 7/8 Alpha II, a 3wt and matching Trout reel, or a spey rod... decisions, decisions!

caseywise

Reaction score
yea, those guys have a good thing going there. top notch for sure!
i'm just looking forward to see what they come up with next:D:cool::D
good job guys:wavetowel:wavetowel

casey

auntrout

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Allen 3/4 Trout Reel. Looking for a reel for the 8'9" 4wt I just built. Used a TFO Finesse blank and the green Trout Reel I think would be a pretty sharp looking combination.

mudbug

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Allen 3/4 Trout Reel. Looking for a reel for the 8'9" 4wt I just built. Used a TFO Finesse blank and the green Trout Reel I think would be a pretty sharp looking combination.

not a 3/4 but I have two 5/6's and love them.

I do have two of his old 3/4 XL's that I also enjoy.

auntrout

Reaction score
I figure you can't compare these reels with those that cost 2-3 times as much, but was wondering how the anodizing has held up. At a 4wt its pretty much there to just hold line, but I'd be bummed if the anodize scratches off too easily. thanks

Last edited:
L

Liphookedau

I have two 9/10s one is The older version which I haven't used much,the other an Allen II the latter is a beaut Reel which I use it with a 9'6" 6-7 Rod,it not only balances good because it's Skeletonised & light,also being a larger diameter I find it easier to get the line back on the Spool when I hook Fish with my shoulder,neck & finger problems, it does the job as good as the more expensive Reels which I have a few of,the finish is still fine as I've only to date used it late evenings/night time so I've really given it a good test run over the last month or so..
The only problem I've had is The Back cover plate fell off whilst Fishing,at this stage I've seached & haven't found it,I'm still seaching however I think one of the larger Birds could have taken it.
Brian.

FISHN50

Reaction score
You can tell that Justin believes in great Customer Service in the way he treats his customers. Last year I ordered a pre- production rod & there was a problem with the completed ones when he received them. I was going away on my "bucket List" trip to Chile & he bent over backwards to get me a rod for the trip on loan & when I got back I sent it back to him. I don' know any other manufacturer that would handle such a situation on a personal basis like he did. Even though he was on his Honeymoon he still got me the fishing rod on time.

Neil

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I just recieved my red trout 5/7 and its so aweosome!! The finish is outstanding!! the pictures he has online really dont display how shiney and brilliant the finish is on those reels. I cant wait to try it out this spring.

I also have an 1st generation Alpha 3/4. originally I had bought a trout maybe? but he was having some troubles getting them in and I was trying to get the reel before a trip, so he upgraded me to the Alpha for free and sent it my way. The reel is fantastic as weLL! Its smooth and quiet, same with the trout, and the finish is very bright. its almost too bright...almost. It is holding up well to being abused, I have knocked it pretty good on some rocks and it has some small dings on it, but nothing horrible or that effects the use. I will continue to order from them.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Got home late last night from a weekend at the Somerset, PA Fly Fishing Show, spent a lot of time at the Allen booth with Justin, Evan, and Jason, mostly drooling over the new two-hander series and the Limited Edition colors on the Alpha II. The guys from Allen are some great guys and it was good to meet and spend time with them. It was also really cool seeing how much interest in the company there was from people at the show, even people from other companies. Evan and Jason both spent some time teaching me some two-handed casting and such, which I know I'm going to get very addicted to. Their new Olympic series is quite incredible, I didn't really want to put it down. They also had a mean little 3wt Xa that everybody seemed to love (same one that Marco got to cast), should be a small stream machine!

As if I needed more inspiration to buy Allen products, getting to meet the guys in person and see how nice they are and how much they care about their products and their customers really shows the mark of a great company.

nocofly

Reaction score
Another huge Allen fan here! I bought a 5/6wt Alpha series from him last year. I think it was when he was going through his supply problems as well. I had ordered the reel along with an extra spool for my sink line, and since I had to wait a little longer, he threw in a whole other reel instead of just the spool! Again, showing what a great company and customer service that they have. I have pointed many friends his way, and will keep doing so. Keep up the great work!!1