Assembling your own reel

Reaction score
I came upon an online store today offering reel kits for sale.
All the necessary parts are already machined and drilled for assembly.
They are manufactured by a small firm for reel assembly classes and are fully functional. They look like the older style reels, some with solid plates in metal and delrin.

One of the metal machined reels sells for $250 assembled and the kit is only $125.

It certainly has an attraction for me - the idea of assembling your own fully functional reel has a certain allure to it.

Thoughts?? Has anyone ever bought their reel in parts and self assembled it?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Saw another reference to the same thing and it got my 'curoisity' up. Not enough to go on line with my credit card considering the number of parts in a fly reel .... quite (personal opin. only) there was quite a disconnect between a bag of parts and the parts put together.
:popcorn:

L

Liphookedau

Hi.
The only things wrong are you are paying top Dollars then you have to assemble it,also really how good is their machining whereas if you buy a Reel already assembled if it's faulty you have a chance of a replacement as they have quality control & if it doesn't pass it's rejected.
Another thing if any damage is incured assembling or something is out you wear it as you will be told you caused the problem.
Brian.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how your taste runs in light duty reels..................... were I looking for a 3 weight reel I would save a search (on auction site) for a Martin MG-3 and hope to find one in mint condition. Light = yes, classic looks = yes, under 100 dollars = yes.......... they look and work pretty much like a Hardy featherweight and come at reduced cost.

Don't get the reel confused with any other Martin model, the MG-3 was their light weight Cadillac. I put a picture of mine on the Reel Love thread, could be made a better picture but it will give you the idea. Since it's December you have time, one may come up before too long if it does and if it is mint or unused don't plan on going cheap, people pay 75 dollars or more for them that's why I suggested 100 as a price line. There is a good reason people are paying 75 or more for them.

L

Liphookedau

Naaa, if you want a 'high end reel' Google SpeyCo. All custom made and you could 'pound nails' with the one I have on my 3wt(s) for less money.

Fred you are right even though they are expensive they are nice Reels.
I have too many now.