Pflueger medalist?

zstone07

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I need a new reel for my TFO five weight, and I was looking at the Pflueger Medalist. Does anyone have any experience with these? They seem pretty good for the money. Or could you direct me to a different reel? I'd like to keep it at or below 80 bucks. Thanks

Curtis

Reaction score
Fantastic rugged reel that will last you years and years. Not the prettiest, but then again either am I and the fish don't seem to give a hoot!

Pick one up. I don't think you will be disappointed, especially at that price point.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi zstone07,

I would bet more people have bought a Medalist as a first reel than any other reel in history. I still have one I bought in 1954 and it us still in good shape. It is missing a couple of screws but that is my fault for not taking better care of it. I used mine for Steelhead in California. I have not fished it for many years. It is a basic fly reel that gets the job done. Back in the fifty's it was one of the few good reels available. I don't know about the quality of the new ones.

Flyinsalt

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that reel, I have one also. But, if you haven't already purchased one I would reccomend looking at the low end Ross reels. I have had several Ross reels for both salt and fresh water and really like them.