Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Abel Deep Green & Sage XP

I'm considering pairing up a deep green Abel reel with a Sage XP. Does anyone know if the blank and the reel would be a match and does anyone use this pairing? I was going to get a black one but the deep green might be a nice change of pace.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Abel Deep Green & Sage XP

I have seen the combination before. I think that the XP is a smidge lighter than the Abel Deep Green. However, if you want to match a premium Winston, the Abel Deep Green is a perfect match.

Dennis

3. Likes skeet liked this post

Personally, I would go for a contrast rather than a match. I tried that with an Abel and a Winston and the colors were just different enough that they fought with each other. Bronze, gold or even black would be good, I would consider a two tone myself. A black spool on a gold or copper frame (Billy Pate Style) would be very nice. If you want some green I would consider looking at a dark olive spool on a gold frame. -just my two cents, these are the things I thought about when a purchased my three Abels..

Thanks guys. Most of my reels are black so I'm looking at mixing it up a bit. I think bronze might be a cool look on the XP too. That deep green might not be the best option.

One of my top fishing partners fishes a 9'/#5 XP mounted with a black Super 5 and it is a 1st rate outfit for a big river. You might call Abel and ask if they have a match for the Sage XP color, they very well might!

Another option for a reel might be to look at Tibors Moss Green ( http://www.tiborreel.com/images/tibfin.jpg )

Plenty of other green reels out there too, but most of them are to green to match up with an XP blank. I've got one of Bauers Green spools and a few XP's, they aren't close at all. Bauers Green is more like an emerald green.

Good Luck, TT

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    One of my top fishing partners fishes a 9'/#5 XP mounted with a black Super 5 and it is a 1st rate outfit for a big river. You might call Abel and ask if they have a match for the Sage XP color, they very well might!
    This is my 9' 6 wt. XP. I was thinking of pairing it up with a Super 6 - a little narrower than the Super 5 and a bigger diameter. I've kicked around a Super 5 as well. There is a weight difference, but I paired up my Super 7 with the 6 wt. just to check balance and diameter and I think it will work well. I could get away with a Super 5 but the 6 has a double pawl that while not necessary, provides a little insurance if I ever need it when I fish winter Steelhead with it. The Super 6N is a nice looking tool but just too expensive. I'm more of a "closeout" shopper when it comes to Abel reels.

Cheers,
    Mike.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
    Another option for a reel might be to look at Tibors Moss Green ( http://www.tiborreel.com/images/tibfin.jpg )

Plenty of other green reels out there too, but most of them are to green to match up with an XP blank. I've got one of Bauers Green spools and a few XP's, they aren't close at all. Bauers Green is more like an emerald green.

Good Luck, TT
    Nice reels, TT. Lot's of coin on those for sure!

Or, you could do what I did in this poor quality, ten year old photo. Just go ahead and clash with the entire world. It's an Abel Super 5 in purple with platinum spider mounted on a Sage 697-4 XP.

Gotta' Remember, I'm from the great state of Cow-a-bunga.
    TT.

Quote Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
    Or, you could do what I did in this poor quality, ten year old photo. Just go ahead and clash with the entire world. It's an Abel Super 5 in purple with platinum spider mounted on a Sage 697-4 XP.

Gotta' Remember, I'm from the great state of Cow-a-bunga.
    TT.
    Nice feesh!

The Super 5 pairs up well with the 6 wt.? Right now I'm torn between a Super 5 and a Super 6.

I like the Super 5 on my 9' 6wt Beulah, and use the Super 6 on my 9'6" 6wt S4. I like both combo's alot, the only real reason I got the 6 on the longer rod is because it gets used for both trout and Steelhead, plus I plan on using it in the surf when we go ab. diving this year. the double pawl was the main selling point but I also like the narrow/larger diameter spool for faster line retrieve and not having to guide the line across a wide spool is nice too. The 5 is perfect for my 9' 6wt and holds plenty of backing, I have about 110+yds and a 7wt line on mine. Either way you go you'll be happy, after all they're both Abels'....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast