Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Marryat Reels

Default Marryat Reels

After posting on the "Favorite Brand of Reel" thread, interest was expressed in the Marryats, and I promised to post some pictures. I didn't want to Hi-jack that thread, so here is a new one......

The marryat reels are of Swedish design, and originally manufacture too, but as with most everything, they are now made in Japan. YThe machining and quality between the swedish and japanese versions is very hard to detect without looking at the stamp on the reel foot. The reels are extremely light and compact in size. The number appelations do not really refer to the line weight, but to the reel diameter in centimeters. My MR7 is 7cm in diameter, and the spool is 1.9cm inside width, which allows for 100 yards of 20 pound dacron and a WF5 line. My MR9 is 9cm in diamenter and a very generous 3.2cm wide. The spool pictured is of a WF 7 line with 200 yards of 30 pound dacron.

The drag is a very sturdy disc and caliper style. The drag adjusts from just over an ounce (no backlashes) to 25 ounces...not the most powerful drag, but plenty if you know how to palm the reel. The MR9 pictured has handled 12 pound redfish easily. Here are the pictures:

I love the copper color of the MR9, but I have to admit a real soft spot for the MR7 pictured next.....

Notice the double pins on the spool spindle that fit into the drag notches that can be seen in the next pic......

The finishes are cold processed anodized, and seem to be very durable. The MR9 has seen a lot of use and made several redfish trips, spent too much time in the bottom of the boat, and other than a few smudges where I had sticky line weight labels on it, its very clean. Is it my Isalnder....no, and they are not meant to be, but I can own 3 of the Marryats for one Islander...and have beer money to boot!
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

2. Likes chi flyfisher, wannafish, Ard liked this post

Default Re: Marryat Reels

Thanks for the pics and info; interesting to hear the origin of the Marryat.
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Blog Entries

Gerat bunch of reels and thanks for putting them on the reel thread too

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

The Marryatt Reel I have is A CMR 34 Brand New in a case with The original Box & papers,it looks the same as the larger ones mrfzx has shown us,it has Swiss Made on The Reel Foot & Made in Switzerland on The Box.
    I was going to use it on a 2wt Rod however I'm using a Bauer instead.
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
    The Marryatt Reel I have is A CMR 34 Brand New in a case with The original Box & papers,it looks the same as the larger ones mrfzx has shown us,it has Swiss Made on The Reel Foot & Made in Switzerland on The Box.
    I was going to use it on a 2wt Rod however I'm using a Bauer instead.
    Brian.
    The Swiss made CMR reels fetch a bit more than the Japnanese versions. They are great reels and a shame to sit on a shelf! The CMR was labeled for the line type, whereas the MR was by diameter of the reel.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Being a Mechanical Engineer/Ex-Toolmaker I spent many years in Precision Machining,Lathes ,Mills,Jig Borers,Jig,Surface & Cylindrical Grinding so I appreciate The Workmanship which has gone into this particular Reel so the place is probably in a showcase somewhere as it's a quality made Reel even though it only has a Brass Bush.
    The only thing there is no number on the Reel seat.
    Brian.

Blog Entries

ive always loved the color and finish of the marryat reels
    thanks for sharing these beauties.

casey

ARFE