Reel for superfine 8'6 3wt

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Just ordered my full flex superfine 3wt. I have an existing 4wt lamson litespeed i've thought of getting an extra spool for and loading up with a 3wt to use...but looking at spool and line prices it's nearly as costly as a whole new reel, spool and free line (thrown in since i bought the rod at the shop too). so...i'm looking at a orvis hydros II or a hatch finatic 3+ which is nearl $200 more than the orvis. what gives on the hatch reel? I've never owned one....yes they are a work of art but functionally are they worth it?

thanks for your input.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am a Hatch fan but its performance is irrelivent on a little #3. The nicest reel with historical relevence thrown in might be a little Orvis CFO.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
What is the reason to ever buy a hatch reel and put it on a 3wt? They just came out with a 1 plus (0-2 wt). Again another reel that no one should use/buy?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hatch reels are beautiful and highly functional. On light line rods, they are overkill.

I'm partial to click and pawl style reels for lighter rigs. I agree that an old school CFO can be the way to go. Another way to go would be one of the Hardy Classic Lightweight series reels.

Dennis

mysticm

Reaction score
I too am partial to a click and pawl for the lighter rods. A nice one is the Cortland Retro...works well with both my 2 & 4 wt rods. Well made, light weight & has great capacity. The pawl's design and materials are very similar to the Hardy lightweights. The Reel + extra spool came in well under $200. Send me a PM if you would like a reference for the online shop where I bought mine. They put on backing for free and also threw in leaders etc.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Peersonally I don't fish lighter lines than #4 as they provide inadaquit mass for effective reach and mend casting. I have an 8'/#4 that I enjoy on small streams mounted with a Hardy-built CFO, a lovely rig. I am, however, contemplating the Loomis NRX 9'/#4 which I might fish on a low wind day on the Henrys Fork or even the Missouri side channels instead of my customery #5. On the NRX I will use a Hatch or Nautilus with a drag because I intend to hook larger trout with room to run. Our gear selection is all about the environment we plan on fishing and it is great that rod and reel makers are offering equipment for specialized applications.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
You don't need a hi tech over-engineered drag on a 3 weight. I would recommend an old British-made spring-and-pawl Orvis CFO 123 or a Hardy Featherweight. Dainty, elegant and classic. Get one used on eBay or Craigslist.

A new alternative would be LL Bean's Pocket Water or Red Truck's Diesel 3/4. Orvis's current Battenkill Bar Stock I or II, or CFO II, would also do the trick but I don't think they look as nice.

pegboy1

Reaction score
You should look into the Orvis Access reels. I was given one last fall for a 4wt and love it.

sandfly

Reaction score
Peersonally I don't fish lighter lines than #4 as they provide inadaquit mass for effective reach and mend casting. I have an 8'/#4 that I enjoy on small streams mounted with a Hardy-built CFO, a lovely rig. I am, however, contemplating the Loomis NRX 9'/#4 which I might fish on a low wind day on the Henrys Fork or even the Missouri side channels instead of my customery #5. On the NRX I will use a Hatch or Nautilus with a drag because I intend to hook larger trout with room to run. Our gear selection is all about the environment we plan on fishing and it is great that rod and reel makers are offering equipment for specialized applications.
come to pa and fish here you need those small rods 7'6' to 5' 1,2,3 wts..small stream fishing here is a 10' cast, completlt different than out west.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm checking in late here but better late than never, (unless you've spent the dough already) we are talking about an 8' 6" Orvis Superfine correct? I would find myself either a CFO III or IV in 'mint' condition for that rod. With the length you may be able to hang a CFO IV on the seat without it being too heavy. Nothing looks or functions like a CFO on an Orvis Super Fine rod :)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Ard, I have long prefered the CFO IV for 4-weights. I use one on my littlest outfit, an '85 Western Series 8'/#4 and it is a perfect ballance. The CFO III is really for 3-weights or rods shorter than 8'. Of course, "mint" might not describe my CFO's condition but buttery smooth would.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ard, I have long prefered the CFO IV for 4-weights. I use one on my littlest outfit, an '85 Western Series 8'/#4 and it is a perfect ballance. The CFO III is really for 3-weights or rods shorter than 8'. Of course, "mint" might not describe my CFO's condition but buttery smooth would.
I believe that we get caught up with the idea that since the rod is rated '3' weight that we must have a reel of 2.5 ounces or less to 'balance the rod'. You often times learn by doing and that where any advice I try to give comes from; doing. Years ago when St. Croix introduced the Legend Ultra rods in that beautiful Winston green blank with the curly maple reel seats, after seeing one I just had no rest until I got one. I bought a 7.5 foot 3 weight rod and then had it in my head that I needed to find a mint Hardy Flyweight for use with it. I found the reel with Martin Keane up in Ashley Falls Mass. The old time collectors here may recognize Martin's name as being 'The' source for vintage tackle lone before eBay came about. Anyway, I got my Flyweight and spooled a line. When I put the minuscule reel on the rod I had 2 problems with things. Number one was that the rod was quite tip heavy once you strung line through the guides. Number 2 was that the reel actually looked kinda funny on the seat because it was so tiny.

It was after the initial fitting of the reel that I decided that I didn't have a rod small enough for a 'Fly' and didn't know what I'd do with one if I had it. I used the rod with my Martin MG-3 on it a few times but when comparing it to my 6'6" bamboo flea rod which also uses a 3 weight line I soon discovered that I had little use for another #3. I sold both the rod and the Flyweight reel and continued on in life by always getting my reels a little larger than one might think you would need. The end result of using the larger reels is that they balance the rods better and they look like a fly reel on the rod and not some sort of a tiny toy reel.

Big reels are cool :cool:

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I've got the same rod with a CFO III and I think it's fine. I think the IV would look too big, and I don't need the extra backing capacity for the fish or the extra weight for the balance. I also use a CFO IV with my 6 weight and the CFO 123 with my little 6' 6" 4 wt Orvis Flea.

The CFO is an ideal reel for the superfine rod series, but I think the smaller 123 or III would be a better match with a 3 weight. But no matter which size, if you decide on a CFO it ought to be the old style grey spring-and-pawl CFO, with the nickel silver line guard and without the perforations in the rim, and they can be hard to find. The new anodized bronze disc drag ones made in Korea that shops carry now are ugly knockoffs of the original, at least to my eyes. They'll work fine, but they just don't have the same elegance.

shrek82

Reaction score
Not sure if you are interested but Orvis is releasing a limited edition, individually numbered CFO III. Its being made by Hardy in England on the original machinery. Not sure on the price though.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I got the rod and decided to stick with the lamson litespeed. The combo balances out a little tip heavy. We'll see how she does. Besides, it leaves me time to think about it. If I get something else, I'll move this lamson back to the 4wt Helios.

rapid eddy

Reaction score
Hey Shotgun, for your consideration give a look see at an old Pflueger Progress. Been around awhile and still easy on the old pocket book. Simple also.
Eddy