Edward Vom Hofe # 355 reel?

baspinall

Reaction score
Hello all - this is my first post on these forums as I just learned about them.
I have an old Edward Vom Hofe reel that I a question about.
First I am trying to identify it. It is stamped on the bottom #355 but the second 5 is over stamped a 3. Was there a #335? I can't find any info on a #335 if so. I think this is a fairly rare reel.

Thanks - Brian

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/basp1957/?action=view&current=DSC_00085050.jpg

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/basp1957/?action=view&current=DSC_00045050.jpg

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/basp1957/?action=view&current=DSC_0006_015050.jpg

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Brian: First off welcome to the forum!!!! I can't help with your request for information on the Edward Vom Hofe reel, but it certainly looks like a very fine reel.

baspinall

Reaction score
Thanks Larry. I can't believe I never found this forum. Been fly fishing for 43 years.

Brian

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Brian: You're welcome! You will be surprised at how much information is here if you use the search function, or just ask questions, we have some members with incredible fly fishing knowledge.

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

We have a member who has a few Vom Hofe reels. He may be able to give you some info about the reel. I never had one and can be of no help. He will see this thread when he logs on or I will contact him and point him to it. I would guess the 335 is the production number not the model of the reel. If it is 3" in diameter that may explain the '3'. It looks like one of the early 1900's trout models but without the dimensions I can't guess farther.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

mrfzx

Reaction score
Sorry I have been away for a few days...in "dark" territiry. The EVH model 355 predated the 360. I will do some research into the reel.....will reply soon....I am not immediately aware of a model that was dubbed the 335.....

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

After doing some quick research, my best guess is one of two things:

1. Everyreel was handmade, and a "new" apprentice stamped the reel incorrectly and then corrected it.

2. The foot is not original to that reel, and the number was changed to match this reel configuration. the problem with scenario is that there were very few EVh models that had the second number as a 3...the one I am aware of was the 723, and it wasn't produced until years later (1932)....and it does not appear that there was a 7 in front of the 3, or a 2 under the second 5.

I love mysteries! I have forwarded your photos to my father-in-law....I hope that is okay. He is a bonafide expert on EVH reels (also Walkers and Zwargs) having dealt in them for 25 years, and owning a few hundred of them (each....no joke). He is in Costa Rica right now, so I will wait to see what he emails back.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

Now you have our Voom Hofe team of experts on the case, these fellows will have the reel sorted out soon I'm sure.

mrfzx

Reaction score
After some research and review last night.....along with a bit of Skype conferencing, we have decided that the reel is an EVH Model 355 Peerless. This was one of the early designs, obviously by the patent date. As near as we can tell without having the reel in our hands, is that it is a 355. Everything we can see is consistant with that model. The double stamp is odd, and he has never heard of nor seen another. Does it add value like a double stamped coin? Good question that is pretty hard to answer. Value is what the market will bear...lately values have been very strong, but they ebb and flow in erratic patterns.

The other big issue is that being hand made, the reel's physical characteristics are hard to pin down. For instance on two reels in Dad's (my father-in-law but that's too long to keep typing) collection: One a model 355, size 3 1/2, and one a 355, size 4 are so close in measurement that it is very hard to distinguish them unless they are right next to each other! One would assume that the outside diameter would be 3 1/2 inches and 4 inches respectively, but not so. They are in actuality a little less than 1/4 inch in diameter different.

In all our accumulated information, old catalogs, copies of even older catalogs in museums, etc., we can find no mention of a model 335. Vom Hofe was a meticulous labeler and journal keeper. Even one-of-a-kind reels made for friends were recorded. I doubt that if there was a 335 built it would have been lost in history somehow. But who knows.....you may have the "holy grail" of reels! I hope this has been some help, and I am sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer.

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

Hi Brian,

Now you have our Voom Hofe team of experts on the case, these fellows will have the reel sorted out soon I'm sure.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! We do what we love....right?:D

baspinall

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't expect so much info. Really appreciate the time spent looking into this. I knew it was an oldie. My father used this reel on an old Winchester bamboo rod when I was very young. Not sure if I want to hang onto it or try to sell it? Hate saying that but times have been a little rough lately.

Thanks again.