Abel 3N Best Brook Trout to Bonefish IMHO

bonefish41

Reaction score
I have used my 3N from midwest smallies to key west permit and all areas of bonefish. 6wt to 9 wt...variable the backing 30 to 50 braid...why?... never has failed...initial drag start up easy and continuously smooth...no bucks...cork does require attention but it's worth it...why spend the money cause it's the only one you will ever need, it's simple construction and nobody will dissss you on the dock...and why spend 2 to 4 grand on a trip and have either the reel and/or the 5 year old line fail...if I had only one for all...that's what I would use...including tarpon but I would respectfully ask the guide to get off the platfrom and chase it down...

BigCliff

Reaction score
I think of that one as a pretty great 6/7wt reel, but does it really have the capacity to fit an 8 or 9wt and a reasonable amount of backing? Might have to pick a tarpon guide carefully based on that.

I'd much rather have a Super 10 or 12 for tarpon. (and somebody else's AMEX to acquire it) Though I'll likely never own an Abel, I always thought the green, black and gold coral camo pattern was awful pretty. It looks like they no longer make that exact color, but this is pretty close

bonefish41

Reaction score
I think of that one as a pretty great 6/7wt reel, but does it really have the capacity to fit an 8 or 9wt and a reasonable amount of backing? Might have to pick a tarpon guide carefully based on that.

I'd much rather have a Super 10 or 12 for tarpon. (and somebody else's AMEX to acquire it) Though I'll likely never own an Abel, I always thought the green, black and gold coral camo pattern was awful pretty. It looks like they no longer make that exact color, but this is pretty close
C:
If I only had one reel...that would be it for its size the drag is capable of tarpon at 100...but nobody has one toy... as for 8/9 wt here's my bonefish/light permit set up airflo ridge tropic cut to 90 feet...175 50 power pro yellow...the 10, 11 and 12 are of course different...as for price..there are buys in Abel if you can stand a bit more weight e.g. original big game style without frame porting and just spool porting...that's my 3N which was a little bit above 300 and in carib/camo color and my 4N was ordered by someone in all solid spool and frame and carib camo also...I can drive off muggers or dispatch large fish with it...it has heft but the price was right 50% (8 years ago)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi bonefish41,

We don't get into a discussion about the higher priced reels very often. I agree with you 100%. Abel makes a great reel with maybe the best drag out there. If I was fishing saltwater in your area that is what I would use. Do you have the Super 6 spool for your 3N?

Frank

bonefish41

Reaction score
Hi bonefish41,

We don't get into a discussion about the higher priced reels very often. I agree with you 100%. Abel makes a great reel with maybe the best drag out there. If I was fishing saltwater in your area that is what I would use. Do you have the Super 6 spool for your 3N?

Frank
F:

I agree...while at full tilt retail they are they are higher priced but if one looks hard you can find bargins particularly as I said before with the old big game style...but one must be patient and not an implusive buyer...also I generally have found that searching fly shops for old inventory/models is a better way to find bargins rather than ebay which I believe has more run-up bidding on high end tackle than they will admit to...my definition of a bargin is not parity with a $275 reel but if 100 more for a bargin abel which can do it all eg fresh to salt you do not need two or three 150 to 200 reels and the abel in hard use will last a lifetime...I would say the same for tibor except IMO the abel big game 3N has a better traditional look than the tibor of comparable size.

No I do not have a Super Six spool...I vary the backing when I drop to 6 or 7 wt weight for fresh smallies...instead of all(175) 50 lb braid with 9 wt I'll part fill with 50 dacron as a filler and top off with 50 yrds of braid...but I did however spend on forum rather than function...bought the custom color reel foot and drag knob to match the reel...that did negate a good part of the "bargin."