Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Lamson, Ross, or Sage

If you had the choice between these 3 brand reels for smaller rods, 3 to 7 wt or so, without taking the price into consideration, which brand would you go with?
    Looking basically at the Ross Evo's, the Lamson Litespeed, and the Sage 3000 series or possibly the 2500 series. Only looking at the quality of the reels, which would you choose?

Default Re: Lamson, Ross, or Sage

Lamson, but you probably knew I was going to say that.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

It's between the Lamson and the Ross for me.
    The biggest factor for me are the looks. I don't mind Lamsons on my large lineweight set-ups but they look too unconventional on my trout rods.
    Now, that Ross Evolution... great all-around reel and in the limited edition green on a green stick? Priceless!

Does Ross have a new "conventional looking" version of the Evolution out?

I think they're gorgeous too, but wouldn't call that thing conventional. I was still working at a fly shop when they were coming out and I would have ordered one based on the prototype I saw if I'd had that option.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    Does Ross have a new "conventional looking" version of the Evolution out?

I think they're gorgeous too, but wouldn't call that thing conventional. I was still working at a fly shop when they were coming out and I would have ordered one based on the prototype I saw if I'd had that option.
    Well, in my mind it's more conventional looking than those Peterbilt hubcap lookalikes! (one of which I own one)

Hi Branden,

I think all of these three reels are well built and no one of them has the edge in quality. Here are my thoughts about the reels.

The Lamson Lightspeed has two things that I don't care for. The round side plate does not fit my taste. It is strong and functional but I don't care for it. The other problem is the way the reel fits together. The spool is held in place by a rubber "O" ring. Lots of people like it but I don't.

The Ross Evolution is a very light reel and I like the looks. It doesn't look to me like it is very tough. When winding the spool it almost feels flimsy to me compared to the Galvan OB. The one thing that would keep me from buying it is the in-coming click. I don't want any reel with an in-coming click. Some people don't mind it.

The Sage 3000 draw-bar model is a very nice reel. I have not seen one for a while and don't remember too much about them. I would not want the click model with the teeth on the spool. I think Waterworks designed the Sage but I don't know who is building them.

I am sorry I don't have more concrete information. My comments are mostly about feelings and my preferences.

Frank