Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy who can't decide on a reel

1. Default New guy who can't decide on a reel

Hey everybody my names mike I'm new around here, and I must say I really like this forum so far. I'm looking forward to posting a bunch Of reports and living through everyone else's when I can't fish. But enough of the intro, I have a quick decision I need help with. I recently acquired a 9' 4wt Winston biix.. Problem is I dont know what size Allen trout would fit best. Anyone mind sharing there opinion? Thanks in advance

Default Re: New guy who can't decide on a reel

Welcome to the forum! There are more people with better knowledge than me, but I would pair up rod and reel with like weights until you get a real feel for the subtle differences, then start dialing it in for what your fishing style is. An example would be the 4wt rod with a 4wt reel and 4 wt line. The reel might be marked as a 4/5wt or some such marking, but I wouldn't go over or under much until you get the feel.
    As far as reels go, there are many good ones out there, I would personally stay away from plastic though. Unless its way out of budget, machined aluminum is a good start.
    Keep an eye out there for a deal, I got a 8wt Ross Flystart for 25 dollars on clearance that works really good.

3. Default Re: New guy who can't decide on a reel

Thanks for the welcome and the help. This isn't my first rodeo as far as fly rods go, I'm just not sure as to how these Allen reels run in size

HaHa Ok, Yeah, I cant help there. Sorry.

5. Default Re: New guy who can't decide on a reel

Thanks anyways for the attempt!

Ok, try this. Under the Classifieds, Business, Fishing Tackle etc. thread you can find info about Allen fly Co. If you don't see anything about the reels there, you will find contact info for an Allen rep who can answer your question. That's probably the best bet.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

If all else fails, I have an email address that you can use. I can PM it to you if you need it.

7. Default Re: New guy who can't decide on a reel

I didn't think about emailing them LOL that would have been way easier. I have there email from a recent hook order but thanks anyways

8. Default Re: New guy who can't decide on a reel

If you plan to use a standard WFF 4wt line, our Size 1 (3/5) Trout reel would be a great match for that rod. You can email me at evan@allenflyfishing.com if you have any more questions.

9. Default Re: New guy who can't decide on a reel

That's customer service at it's finest. Thanks a ton.

10. Default Re: New guy who can't decide on a reel

The lodges I work for have been outfitting anglers with Orvis Reels for years and they hold up to tons of abuse. The Access Mid Arbor is a good entry model reel.
    Last edited by Ard; 04-19-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Removed active business links from signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast