Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Value for Dollar

1. Default Value for Dollar

In the Market for a new fly reel. However I have a limited budget aprox $100. I currently use a Crystal River that works great but I find it a bit heavy. I use a 7wt line and mostly fish for atlantic salmon. I would like to find a lighter weight reel at an affordable price. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike

Default Re: Value for Dollar

Haven't fished one yet, but the Cortland Endurance reel sounds like it might be a good one to consider.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

3. Default Re: Value for Dollar

Hi, I have been fly fishing for 25 years and own ReelFlyRod.com in Ohio. Take a look at the Redington SVIII 7/8/9. It is a serious piece of equipment that will stop a truck. I was so impressed with this reel for the price, that I took it north for king salmon and fought a dozen fish in the 22-30lb range. Field tested and approved. They retail for $100 and we sell them for $79.00. I haven't seen anything that compares in this price range. Tight Lines, Todd
    Todd Mikesell, Owner
    Check out the New NAFFF Fly Shop at Forum Fly Shop!
    ReelFlyRod.com - "Fly Fish the World With Us!"

4. Default Re: Value for Dollar

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check them out.

Mike

Default Re: Value for Dollar

mikesalmon,
    I will have to agree with the Big C on this one. I like the Cortland Endurance reel. I fished with my just the other day and was thinking how nice a reel it really is.

Check out The Full Creel Fly Shop it has several great reels in your price range:

Cortland Endurance Large Arbor Fly Reels, Free Shipping fly fishing gear

I hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
    Henry David Thoreau

6. Default Re: Value for Dollar

Quote Originally Posted by ReelFlyRod View Post
    Hi, I have been fly fishing for 25 years and own ReelFlyRod.com in Ohio. Take a look at the Redington SVIII 7/8/9. It is a serious piece of equipment that will stop a truck. I was so impressed with this reel for the price, that I took it north for king salmon and fought a dozen fish in the 22-30lb range. Field tested and approved. They retail for $100 and we sell them for $79.00. I haven't seen anything that compares in this price range. Tight Lines, Todd
    I have a SVIII and I could not agree more, very tight drag and large arbor, should be a great investment at $79 or so

7. Default Re: Value for Dollar

I picked up a new Orvis mid-arbor on ebay at the end of the season for $100 that performed really well on reds and some big rainbows in Alaska this September. I am very impressed with the quality of this reel; tough, smooth drag and nice balance between line capacity and retrieve ratio.