Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have $300 to spend on a reel...

I am in the market for a nice reel for my Sage One. I am thinking it should be light to balance the light rod. I have a Ross CLA 2 I plan to use as a backup and for my brother to use when he travels up from FL to fish with me using one of my spare rods. I like the looks of the CLA but have had to send it to Ross for service twice. Ross has a good reputation so probably just a fluke.

I am leaning towards the Ross Evolution LT or Lamson Litespeed. I have a smaller version of the Litespeed paired with a Scott 4 wt rod and really like it functionally but am still not totally sold on the space age looks. The Ross Evo LT is a guide favorite in this area and I like the big disk drag knob, easy and well arrticulated with the clicks. Either of these can be had with free Rio high end line for $299 which is my upper limit.

It seems the Galvan and Bauer reels are a bit heavy in this price range. Also looking at the Sage 4200 series but was sort of thinking that Sage isn't reel known for reels, but would work well I assume. I definitly want to stick with the disk drag similar to what I'm used to.

Any votes?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Have $300 to spend on a reel...

my vote would be a lamson litespeed. outstanding reel

casey

ARFE

Blog Entries

Mike,
    If you really wanted to, you could choose a reel that absolutely looks the most fabulous on your Sage One. A lot of reels would be a fine fit for that rod.

Just a thought here. If you are the person who likes to have spools, Ross (Ross USA models only) is the only brand in the industry that will continue to make spare spools after the reel is discontinued. Ten years from now if you wish to obtain a spare spool, there is a good chance that one will be available. Make sure to buy a black reel because all the future production runs will be made in black only.

Dennis

I haven't had any problems with my Ross Rhythm and Evo LT reels. Look good and function fine. The black Evo might work well with the stealthy ONE in terms of keeping with the theme. The bronze hardware might make the grey Litespeed look out of place.....

The Evo would look outstanding on your One IMHO. The Lightspeed is a nice looker too, but like mentioned above, it may look out of place. If you go to a store to make the purchase, you could always try one on to see how it looks. Alot of anglers will say looks shouldnt be the deciding factor, but its function thats #1, but with Lamson or Ross......you get both.

Blog Entries

My vote is the Evolution, I have 2 evo's and love them

I have Lamson's too, but they do have a design flaw. See the threads about a wide shallow arbor vs a deeper arbor like the Evolution. As someone who had the welded loop piched off 2 brand new high end lines on Lamsons,go with the evo. If you do go Lamson I would recomend using maybe 1/3 the backing recomended unless this is for a 6wt and higher where backing could come in to play.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Blog Entries

You really can't go wrong with an Evo LT. They are solid, well built reels and light. I'm assuming you're looking at the LT 2 which weighs in at 4.2oz. A Galvan Rush Light-4 weighs in at 4.8oz. Backing capacity should be pretty similar. I own both the previous version of Galvan Rush series and an LT. I give the nod to the Ross for being light, but the drag in the Galvan is superior IMHO. Both companies have great reputations with customer service. If it were my dime, I'd strongly consider these options.

If you have a local shop that deals with both reels, go on in with your rod and see which one has the balance you're looking for.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Nautilus FWX

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Thanks everyone, black Evo 2 LT is on it's way!

10. Default Re: Have $300 to spend on a reel...

Quote Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
    Thanks everyone, black Evo 2 LT is on it's way!

Can't go wrong with EVO LT, I am looking for my 2nd one. I also have the Litespeed, either one is a great reel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast