Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speyco reels

1. Default Speyco reels

Has anyone fished with the 3" Speyco? He emailed me that the weight was 7 ounces, which I don't think is correct. I just emailed him him back and awaiting a reply.
    but 7 ounces seems very heavy for a 3" reel for #3 & #4 lines. I could be wrong.

But, the reels are hands down the best looking reels out there. So, weight is the issue and i was wondering if any of you have fished the 3"model on light rods.

Thanks,

Dennis

Default Re: Speyco reels

It sounds like he gave you the highest possible weight. It all depends on the finish and hardware. While I've not fished the 3" Single Spey I'd say Tim designed it more for the heavier glass and cane rods. It would definitely not be my choice for a modern graphite rod.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

3. Default Re: Speyco reels

Thanks for the advice. I need it for an 8'8" - 3 wt. Scott graphite. VERY light rod.
    His reels are so stunning looking that most everything else seems, well, homely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    It sounds like he gave you the highest possible weight. It all depends on the finish and hardware. While I've not fished the 3" Single Spey I'd say Tim designed it more for the heavier glass and cane rods. It would definitely not be my choice for a modern graphite rod.

+1 I have looked at these beauties and they are just amazing designs with an exceptional classic look. You mentioned light rods, not sure I'd pair it with something other than a boo or glass rod in the 3" configuration. I don't own either---yet so not a fit for me at this point. I'd love to see him provide an option for lighter rods one day.

Love how this guy does business, he's got a great thing going and I wish him continued success. Highly engaged with customers and potential consumers, quality products built right here in the USA.

Just noticed what you are looking to pair that reel with. Get yourself a Hardy LRH new or vintage if you can find one. I have one that I fish on a BIIX which is a very light rod and its a great match. The reel also pairs very well on my SLT.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

He does a bit of custom work from time to time, I think Fred has had some engraving work done from Speyco. I'd get in contact with Tim and see if he would build you one ported, there might be a demand since alot of folks love the reels. I wouldn't be suprised if something along those lines isn't already in the works.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

the website says 4.5 - 5.5 oz for the single spey trout reel, depending on finish choices, and can add more wt if needed.

7. Default Re: Speyco reels

thank you all:

Tim and I have been in touch and we are working on a reel. This man's devotion to truly exquisite reels goes beyond words. He will work with you to make the reel you want. So, should any of you want a U.S. made reel of exceptional quality for a reasonable price, look at Speyco reels. this has been an eye opener for me.
    And mind you, I am not against foreign made reels at all. But considering the beauty of speyco reels i cannot find a foreign made to match it at any price.