Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Does my reel really care?

1. Default Does my reel really care?

Maybe a noob question,

If I buy only the reel, no line on the spool, does the reel care if I retrieve with my left or my right hand.

I ask because some online retailers ask for left or right retrieve info. Unless they are spooling for me why do they care?

Zjr

Default Re: Does my reel really care?

Perhaps they'll switch it over for you so when you spool it up you won't have to do the switch?

Yes, your reel cares, as should you. I think most reels come in the RH retrieve, and the drag needs to be reversed for a LH retrieve. Otherwise, if your drag was set firm, you would have difficulty reeling in your line, but a fish would have no problem running you down to your backing. Most fly shops, and online retailers ask which hand you retrieve with, and will reverse the drag in needed.

As William has said they will switch it over for you as a service which some provide,also some people don't realise some Reels are made for Left & Right Hand users.
    Brian

5. Default Re: Does my reel really care?

Got it, and that makes sense.

So I am okay to assume that the drag can be reversed should I find I prefer to retrieve with the other hand.

Thanks all.

Zjr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zonkerjr View Post
    Got it, and that makes sense.

So I am okay to assume that the drag can be reversed should I find I prefer to retrieve with the other hand.

Thanks all.

Zjr
    Most reals are reversible, but not all.
    "To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
    ~ Herbert Hoover