Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Spool seems lose from rest of reel

So I got a new gold Access reel this past weekend. Let my dad check it out, and he dropped it... the drag knob is all dinged up. Thats not the worry. The spool feels like there is the slightest bit of movement from the rest of the reel, should it be like that? I looked at my old cheap reels and thats how they sit, so Im assuming its fine.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Spool seems lose from rest of reel

Mike, a 'wobblie spool' is an accident looking for a place to happen if you hook a 'hot fish.' Worse yet it may well be the frame that's slightly bent, not the spool.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Thanks for the response. I wouldnt say its wobbly.
    Pretend like you were going to pull the spool off. If you make that movement, there just seems to be the smallest wiggle room.

Mike,

I wouldn't worry about it. I just looked at a picture of that reel and the spool attachment method is the same as that of old Pfleugers and Hardy's, adapted to the new style of drag. All the reels with that lever type of attachment had a slight amount of end play on the spindle.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Glad your reel is Ok; your Dad sounds alot like me; can't be trusted with nice things
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Thanks so much guys! I even talked to Orvis and there going to send me a new drag knob!