Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Upgrade reel for Winston 4wt BIIX 8'6"...?

I have the Hardy 4000 DD mouned on my Zenith 8 1/2'/#4 & it is a perfect match. The Nautilus FWX is a very fine trout reel too. Both of these fine reels feature performance beyond the normal parameters of the BIIx #4.

The IFTD show is iminent and no doubt new reels will be unveiled there.

I use a Winston green Ross Evolution. This was reel Ross put out in a limited run.
    I bought the Nautilus FWX after reading the raves about it here. It is a lightweight reel but I have to say I expected more from it. The slop between the spool and frame is a disapointment as is the plastic bushing for the spindle in leau of bearings or at least Oil-Lite bronze bushings.

I have a lamson velocity II 1.5 on my 4wt and am really happy with it. On my lighter line rods I like to go classic or ''old school'' on the reel both for functionality and cosmetics. I really like the Black bear fusion reels; The spitfire, grizzly, and classic no1 are nice click pawl style reels with a classic look and generous price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    I use a Winston green Ross Evolution. This was reel Ross put out in a limited run.
    I bought the Nautilus FWX after reading the raves about it here. It is a lightweight reel but I have to say I expected more from it. The slop between the spool and frame is a disapointment as is the plastic bushing for the spindle in leau of bearings or at least Oil-Lite bronze bushings.
    My choice would be a Ross Evolution 1.5 in Winston Green or Black

I have the same 8'6" 4wt Winston rod and its one of my favorites. Very light in hand. I usually team it with my Orvis CFO 11 or Battenkill 3/4. For bigger waters with possibly an occasional 18" trout I usually pair it with my Galvan OB 2.

Thanks all.

Ended up with a Hardy 4000 DD for the 4 wt, and a little 1000 CC for the little BIiit 376-4.

Will post some comments after some time with them.

Redleg

I too would have to cast a vote for the green Evo LT. The Winston boron rods are so beautiful that they almost a demand a nice "looking" reel in addition to being highly functional.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12