Upgrade reel for Winston 4wt BIIX 8'6"...?

redleg155

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've fished this rod just a bit and it looks like it may get some more trout time over the next year or two.

Bought the rod when it first came out and have an Abel #0 on it, which works, but is really a bit small for what this 4wt is capable of. I had the reel at the time of the rod purchase and it seemed good enough to get the rod started. The #0 would be better suited to the 3wt or lighter.

I find this rod to be extremely versitile and have even cast some home-made sink tips with it. I think it is one of Winston's "sweet spot" rods that happens to fit my motions quite well.

Since I have a bias towards Abel, I was looking at the Super 4n. Also attracted to Hatch & Bauer, but the Hardy Ultralight 4000 DD has recently caught my attention. This Hardy seems to have generally good comments and its price is attracting me just a bit. The others are not out of the price range though.

This set up will continue to be used for trout, some bass and still water stuff, maybe a passing carp (usually hunt carp with a 6wt).

Your thoughts are appreciated.

As always - kind regards - redleg

cletus

Reaction score
I use a Galvan Torque on my 486 Biix, may be overkill but I've hooked some pigs (unexpectedly) and it was nice to have.

taylor16

Reaction score
Have a Galvan Torque (T3) on my Winston BiiT 4wt, 7'6". Zero complaints from me. It's one beautiful US-made reel.

shimloom

Reaction score
I use an Abel Super 2 on my 4wt. Never had much of an issue with it, fits nice on my 'Loomis 9' IMX. I also tried the Allen Trout reel on it and It's very nice for the money. I guess they are bringing out a new line soon, may want to check them out.

redleg155

Reaction score
Thanks all. Lots of good choices. I'm leaning towards Hardy reels for now. I like the large and narrow aspect of the Ultralight, both the cc and dd.

Redleg

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have the Hardy 4000 DD mouned on my Zenith 8 1/2'/#4 & it is a perfect match. The Nautilus FWX is a very fine trout reel too. Both of these fine reels feature performance beyond the normal parameters of the BIIx #4.

The IFTD show is iminent and no doubt new reels will be unveiled there.

Jackster

Reaction score
I use a Winston green Ross Evolution. This was reel Ross put out in a limited run.
I bought the Nautilus FWX after reading the raves about it here. It is a lightweight reel but I have to say I expected more from it. The slop between the spool and frame is a disapointment as is the plastic bushing for the spindle in leau of bearings or at least Oil-Lite bronze bushings.

nickel

Reaction score
I have a lamson velocity II 1.5 on my 4wt and am really happy with it. On my lighter line rods I like to go classic or ''old school'' on the reel both for functionality and cosmetics. I really like the Black bear fusion reels; The spitfire, grizzly, and classic no1 are nice click pawl style reels with a classic look and generous price point.

gaz19

Reaction score
I use a Winston green Ross Evolution. This was reel Ross put out in a limited run.
I bought the Nautilus FWX after reading the raves about it here. It is a lightweight reel but I have to say I expected more from it. The slop between the spool and frame is a disapointment as is the plastic bushing for the spindle in leau of bearings or at least Oil-Lite bronze bushings.
My choice would be a Ross Evolution 1.5 in Winston Green or Black

golfnfish

Reaction score
I have the same 8'6" 4wt Winston rod and its one of my favorites. Very light in hand. I usually team it with my Orvis CFO 11 or Battenkill 3/4. For bigger waters with possibly an occasional 18" trout I usually pair it with my Galvan OB 2.

redleg155

Reaction score
Thanks all.

Ended up with a Hardy 4000 DD for the 4 wt, and a little 1000 CC for the little BIiit 376-4.

Will post some comments after some time with them.

Redleg

mike63

Reaction score
I too would have to cast a vote for the green Evo LT. The Winston boron rods are so beautiful that they almost a demand a nice "looking" reel in addition to being highly functional.