J. W. Young Reels

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I see many of them on ebay for sale and was wondering just how good a reel they are. Can you give me the scoop?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Thanks WT. :)
I've been watching them for a while now and occasionally they get some real beauties on there.

Tell me the better models if you would.

L

Liphookedau

I used one for years which I still have loaded with a Wullf Triangle Taper,as wt bash has said,they are solid & also well made.
Brian

wt bash

Reaction score
I'm partial to the Pridex and Condex models but the Beaudux looks like its a fine reel too. Then there's the Shakespeare Beaulite that is made by JW Young and I know alot of two handers like them. They're definitely good reels but get outshined by Hardy's popularity.

wannafish

Reaction score
JW Young made reels for other tackle companies as well; I'm partial to the Sage line up that are identical to the Young 1500 series. I've watched some beauties go for excellent prices recently. I got the Sage 106m(6wt metal body) which is the Young 1525. A mint Sage 108m(8wt metal) sold recently for ~$70 (Young 1530); I wish I'd bought it. The click check in these reels is VERY strong when dialed in; much stronger than my Marquis reels. Here is my 106:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

overmywaders

Reaction score
The Beaudex and the Pridex are substantial reels. The Beaudex I have (it's around here somewhere) was designed for right-hand reeling and I needed to drill a few new holes for the line-guard to use it left-handed (I am right-handed but don't like to switch hands for reeling).

The Pridex has no line guard and sounds equally raucous whether you are reeling in or letting line out. If a good Pfleuger 1495 (Made in Akron) has the sound of a 1957 Buick with gravel in the crankcase, the Pridex has a slightly more upbeat tone... like an Austin 1800 with gravel in the crankcase. :thumbsupu

These are good reels to balance a 9' cane rod. I think you will like them.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey fysh,

Young also made the LlL Bean Guide Series reels and they seldom command much in price. Same reels (I think) just like the Sage 1500 but cheeeep

theboz

Reaction score
I have a JW Young Landex reel. It's an antireverse reel and it's heavy. But performance wise for a reel over 50 years old it's exceptional ! I've used it for salmon and stripers up to 30 lbs and steelhead as well as various Florida gamefish and it always worked great. Was my go to reel for big fish for a long time. My son with all the new equipment we have insists on using it with my old 10 wt Fenwick on all of our Salmon River trips. Says its his guarantee Steelhead setup.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Thanks Boz, I decided to pass on a very nice Landex 4" because of uncertainty about being able to switch it back and forth, instead I picked up a beautiful looking 4" Beaudex that from what I can tell looks spotless for $99 with free shipping.:):)

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
I have several Beaudex, Pridex and Condex reels that I used to fish routinely with some of my older glass rods; the weight of the Young reels really works well on the vintage glass blanks.

You have a nice reel there, Fysh!

Pocono

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Thanks Pocono,:)
Looking forward to hearing the growl of that 57 Buick tranny when it gets here!

Also thinking I may have to do some posting on the 'Reel Love' thread soon.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Just looked up the reel, very cool and wondering what color did you get? These traditional style reels just have a class about them that you can't find in the new generation. Congratulations on a sweet purchase.

Dave