Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 12wt Fly Reel

1. Default

Just mount a nautilus monster on a reel and see how she feels. Love mine

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Edit. Mount on rod.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best 12wt Fly Reel

has anyone fished the lamson vanquish??

casey

ARFE

Let me go with the Tibor first, followed very closely by the Abel and then the Bauer --all cork drawbar design. When you can find an Old Florida Reel on Ebay that's another great cork drawbar designed reel. The Nautilus reels replaced the Old Florida and went the wrong way as far as I am concerned.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

4. Default Re: Best 12wt Fly Reel

I like my sealed drag reels.
    Nothing wrong with standard open cork drag reels if you fish from a boat but if you are wading rivers, flats, etc then a sealed drag stops sand, silt, dirt getting in and compromising the drag.
    If money was no object then a Nautilus 11/12 or a Monster would be my choice.
    www.Eat-sleep-fish.co.uk/ Great free online mag

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
    Let me go with the Tibor first, followed very closely by the Abel and then the Bauer --all cork drawbar design. When you can find an Old Florida Reel on Ebay that's another great cork drawbar designed reel. The Nautilus reels replaced the Old Florida and went the wrong way as far as I am concerned.
    How did they go the wrong way? Have you fished with one of them before?

Hardy Fortuna X is worth mentioning...

I would never go with a cork drag...

Quote Originally Posted by kwb View Post
    I would never go with a cork drag...
    Care to elaborate.... I can see if your fishing ice cold conditions and your worried about the drag freezing up but not aware of any other downfalls of a drawbar cork drag system. Please fill me in.....

I would go with an Abel super 14 or a Tibor Pacific if I was going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
    Care to elaborate.... I can see if your fishing ice cold conditions and your worried about the drag freezing up but not aware of any other downfalls of a drawbar cork drag system. Please fill me in.....

I would go with an Abel super 14 or a Tibor Pacific if I was going to do it.
    I have never fished a Tibor cork drag reel to any extent to give any real statement regarding their performance, but I have used Abel reels and whether they were waxed or not, they were very jerky and in comparison to other reels on the market, simply do not compare in my opinion...

Check out what Nautilus reels has to say about cork drags...

Interview with Kristen Mustad – Nautilus Reels — Bonefish on the Brain

Do I feel cork drags or Abel or Tibor reels are junk, heck no, but when putting all things into perspective, maintenance, smooth operation, etc... I do not feel a cork drag is the best option. They obviously work, just not the best, in my opinion...

Would it make me sell all my Abel or Tibor reels to buy non cork dragged reels, not if I already owned the Abel or Tibor's, BUT if I was buying a new reel, they aren't the route I would go...

Understandable, I can see where the cork can be a problem to those who don't want to have to deal with the maintenece of it all.

I have played with a few that had a dry cork and they do get a bit jerky. I actually enjoy maintaining my equipment, it gives me piece of mind knowing everyhting is in top shape when I hit the water. I have been tempted to try a Hatch to see what all the hype's about. I just haven't had anything but cork drags in my fly reels except for my SA System2 5/6(and a few konics I had for a few weeks).

Maybe I'll make one of my next reel purchases something with a carbon drag. Who knows I might fall in love and never look back, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
    Understandable, I can see where the cork can be a problem to those who don't want to have to deal with the maintenece of it all.

I have played with a few that had a dry cork and they do get a bit jerky. I actually enjoy maintaining my equipment, it gives me piece of mind knowing everyhting is in top shape when I hit the water. I have been tempted to try a Hatch to see what all the hype's about. I just haven't had anything but cork drags in my fly reels except for my SA System2 5/6(and a few konics I had for a few weeks).

Maybe I'll make one of my next reel purchases something with a carbon drag. Who knows I might fall in love and never look back, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.
    Like anything, lot of personal preference involved...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast