Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 12wt Fly Reel

1. Default Best 12wt Fly Reel

Wanted to get some input on some 12wt fly reels. I've been looking at the Nautilus NV, Orvis Mirage, Ross Momentum and Galvan Torque. Can't make up my mind and would like some input on these reels if anyone has used them.

Default Re: Best 12wt Fly Reel

You will get as many answers as there are reels. I personally like the Nautilus NV reels.

3. Default Re: Best 12wt Fly Reel

How's the drag system in the NV? I know that they use a cork drag system which always scares me yet cork drags have tons of world records. I'm just use to hearing about carbon drag being the best.

Blog Entries

If I was going for the reliability of a time tested design, I would seriously look at an Abel Super 11/12 or a Tibor Gulfstream.

These reels have high qualities of the build. The machining is super precise with very tight tolerances. The frame and spool are built to take the punishment of being bounced around on a boat. The drag systems have very few moving parts which lessen the chance of a failure.

Dennis

5. Default Re: Best 12wt Fly Reel

Are the Tibor and Abel Reels Cork or Carbon Drag?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cboz76 View Post
    Are the Tibor and Abel Reels Cork or Carbon Drag?
    Abel and Tibor use cork drag systems.

I thought that I would throw this in. Not bad for a cork drag reel, eh?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWdA7_nZKF8]ABEL SHARK - YouTube[/ame]

7. Default Re: Best 12wt Fly Reel

Ya that's a pretty convincing video lol. If you had to pick, Abel 12 or Tibor Signature or Gulfstream and why?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cboz76 View Post
    Ya that's a pretty convincing video lol. If you had to pick, Abel 12 or Tibor Signature or Gulfstream and why?
    Considering that I use Abels for my 3 weight to my 12 weight, I would not hesitate getting another one. I just trust them.

Here's the infomercial.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TWUAM9mDDU]Abel Reels - YouTube[/ame]

Both Tibors and Abels are draw-bar adjusted, large sweep area, cork disc drag reels. They are both rock solid, smooth and powerful. More big game world records have been set using these reels than all others combined. Go out with a top-notch tarpon guide in Florida and they will be rigged with one of these two, or possibly a similar Islander, time and tarpon tested reels. If you have heard anything negative about cork drags it is from a reel maker who does not use them in their design. The thing is; with a cork draw-bar reel, YOU the angler is required to perform some hands-on basic maintenance! This is cool with me...I like the idea of being able to field strip a reel with no tools and clean, lube and re-assemble it should it get dunked in the marle. OK, I am open minded toward new technology too and own and fish Hatch - wonderful, Nautilus NV - terrific and Hardy Fortuna X - excellent. All powerful, smooth reliable reels.

Do your homework; study the designs and reviews of all these reels and, depending on what 12-weight rod you will mount them on take potential balance into consideration. Or, just take MP's advice above...can't go wrong with a Super 12.

Blog Entries

I'll throw in the Charleton Mako as well, there's a reason people still swear by Jack's designs... and then Hatch too.... As I said in the other thread, by virtue of the type of fish you'll be chasing with 12ers, you may be getting acquainted with the customer service/repairs dept of whatever manufacturer you choose, so don't neglect that area when you make your purchase.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast