Large arbor for 10wt?

kc8qvo

Reaction score
I am looking around at some reels for a 10wt rod. Everything I have now is Orvis but there are some other interesting options out there.

I want to have a strong set up that will take bigger fish without failing. That having been said, I also don't want to break the bank either.

Some of the reels I've looked at are Aleka, Ross, TFO, Sage, and some others. Where are they made? Are there any other options you would recommend? Are there any you would NOT recommend? The Alekas seem to have the more traditional cork friction disks, are those any good or are the modern methods a lot better? Does anyone know where the Orvis Hydros is made?

argail

Reaction score
I am looking around at some reels for a 10wt rod. Everything I have now is Orvis but there are some other interesting options out there.

I want to have a strong set up that will take bigger fish without failing. That having been said, I also don't want to break the bank either.

Some of the reels I've looked at are Aleka, Ross, TFO, Sage, and some others. Where are they made? Are there any other options you would recommend?
interesting question interest you as well as me, where did the product made...
company that you wrote Aleka, TFO, Sage, Orvis - shy :) to write in their own websites where their product is made, exception Roos Ross Reels proudly put the U.S. flag on the right of the pics reels (not all Roos reels made in USA)
my recommendation: Premium Fly Fishing Reels - Nautilus Reels Bauer Fly Reels
and a little advice to see other topics, such issues have already surfaced on the forum!

44runner

Reaction score
2 excellent reels that won't break the bank:
Redington Rise II 9/10
The Waterworks Lamson Guru 4

Enjoy.

axle27

Reaction score
I'd go with the Alpha. But, I'd dig around and find a Battenkill LA IV. I have one on my 10wt.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Allen informed us in another thread that their reels are sourced from China as are Orvis's current offerings and other good reels. I think the Sage reels, like many of the newer, very fine Hardys are made in S. Korea.

Reels are hard to recomend but there are many US-built large arbor #10 reels: Ross F1, Nautilus NV, Hatch 9+, Abel Super, Tibor Riptide just to name a handfull for you to reasearch.

gt05254

Reaction score
I love and have several of the old Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor IV's and V's made in England. I use the V on a 10 wt. They can be found on the auction site with some regularity. Expect to pay about $200. I've landed some mighty big atlantic salmon and bonefish with them...great drag!
Gary

kc8qvo

Reaction score
Just wondering. What kind of fish do you plan on using a 10 weight on?
Large pike, muskie, and bass mostly. By large I mean 30-50" pike/muskie. I could see a salmon trip in the future also. That all having been said, I want a set up that will be pretty versatile in salt water as well (whether it requires another spool and line or not).

I didn't want to turn this discussion in to a rod weight/rod type discussion (hence why I posted it in the reel forum) but I will say that I want a rod that can take bigger flies. You can't fish if you can't get the fly to the fish. With enough work/patience any rod can catch any fish.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Large pike, muskie, and bass mostly. By large I mean 30-50" pike/muskie. I could see a salmon trip in the future also. That all having been said, I want a set up that will be pretty versatile in salt water as well (whether it requires another spool and line or not).

I didn't want to turn this discussion in to a rod weight/rod type discussion (hence why I posted it in the reel forum) but I will say that I want a rod that can take bigger flies. You can't fish if you can't get the fly to the fish. With enough work/patience any rod can catch any fish.
I understand that you are trying to save a few bucks. That's why I asked the question.

If you want to get a reel that would last you forever, you may want to look for a used Abel or Tibor reel. eBay could be your friend. These reels are made in California and Florida respectfully.

If saving a few bucks is key, you may want to look at a Galvan Rush LT 10. It is the same reel as a Galvan Torque 10, but it is not as machined. The drag system of the Rush LT has a wide range of adjustment although it may lack the high end drag of an Abel or Tibor. One of my friends uses a Rush LT 10 on his Spey rod for steelhead, then he changes spools for his once a year trip to Baja California. For bass, pike, and musky, a Rush LT 10 should be plenty of reel.

Dennis

44runner

Reaction score
Allen informed us in another thread that their reels are sourced from China as are Orvis's current offerings and other good reels. I think the Sage reels, like many of the newer, very fine Hardys are made in S. Korea.

Reels are hard to recomend but there are many US-built large arbor #10 reels: Ross F1, Nautilus NV, Hatch 9+, Abel Super, Tibor Riptide just to name a handfull for you to reasearch.
All the Waterworks Lamson stuff is U.S. made as well...

irons

Reaction score
I know a lot of guys love lamson reels but i have experienced problems with them on hard running fish, i have seen the spool spin off the reel when a large striper took a good run. For a 10 wt reel and big fish you really want to spend the money and get a good reel. This size its not just something to hold line. Cheaper reels the drag can warp due to heat build up from a long hard run from a big fish.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
There are several threads currently active in this reel forum involving Waterworks-Lamson. And they have recently introduced a new reel with improved proportions, the Speedster. However, a design fine for a trout reel rarely translates effectively into a big game reel. There are exceptions like Abel and Hatch that are scalable but they are the exception to the rule. The short list I referred to above are mostly proven, large sweep area, solid performers....I left out Canadian built Islander by accident. The one I have not used and has been mentioned very little on this Forum is the Ross F1 but being an American built reel and coming from venerable Ross, I tossed it in as bait. I also have never fished Galvans but intend to change that in the future. I don't have a real good idea of their drag design but plan on visiting them at Somerset Fly Fishing Show come January. I will say that I have never seen one of their reels on a rod rack at any bonefish camp nor on any captains' rod in either Florida or Montauk. Big strippers, albies, bonefish and, of course, tarpon form the committee that evaluates fly rod and reel performance and reliability. Pass their testing procedures and your reel will do fine for steelhead and big pike.

kc8qvo

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Ross CLA? The guys at the local fly shop seem to highly recommend it. Looking at their lineup I like the Vexis best, but they don't have anything heavier than a 7-9wt.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
You can find a Bauer MX5 online for $445, $470 if you want the splash paint job. Those have the newer carbon fiber drag, too.

I have an MX4 and looooove it.

grassonfly

Reaction score
ive never used drag for bass. ive never caught pike or musky so idk about that but what i can say is that none of them are bonefish or tarpon so idt its worth a 700 dollar reel.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

also there are tons of hardy zanes going for cheap on ebay.

chuck s

Reaction score
You had me recommending a large Pflueger until you threw Salmon into the mix. I've used my trusty US made Pflueger Medaist 1494.5 for Bass, and most other 7/8 weight targets for years now and don't hesitate to point folks that direction as these old beauties abound on Ebay for paltry prices. I suspect that a 1495 would do it for a ten weight. But then along came Jones! as the old song goes and your Jones in that mix is the Salmon, a much harder fish known for medium long hard runs. For that I would go with any of the trusted and just fine reels mentioned above such as the Abel, Tibor, and Bauer. These three all have a very smooth draw bar/cork/teflon or carbon fiber drags and are know for working well and doing what is needed in the salt! Of those three the M5 would be my choice or perhaps an M-4 using Spectra braid for backing and these can be had from Ebay for $200 on a good day.

Good luck!:cool: