Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Help-Abel Reel Foot Number

I was thinking of purchasing a used Abel Super Series 3N reel that is listed on Craigslist. The seller (wife of deceased husband) doesn't know much about the reel and I haven't had a chance to look at it since we're 50 miles apart. The number on the reel foot is 568. Does anybody know what the reel foot number refers to or references? Abel is closed until Monday.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help-Abel Reel Foot Number

It is just a serial number for that model.

3. Default Re: Help-Abel Reel Foot Number

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it referenced some features of the reel like Sage does (i.e. 486-4 (meaning 4 weight, 8'6", 4-piece)). I'm still a little confused as I looked at other Abel Super 3N reels on ebay (completed listings) and they had a reel foot number other than 568 but I also saw several other Abel reels of another model listed on ebay with the same reel foot number?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by labnut2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it referenced some features of the reel like Sage does (i.e. 486-4 (meaning 4 weight, 8'6", 4-piece)). I'm still a little confused as I looked at other Abel Super 3N reels on ebay (completed listings) and they had a reel foot number other than 568 but I also saw several other Abel reels of another model listed on ebay with the same reel foot number?
    Interesting, you could be right, I have never owned one, I was just looking at the Abel web site. Is the gal sure it is a 3N, wondering if it isn't a 5N. Take a look at this link and scroll down to the chart:

Abel Reels - Super Series

I went back and took another look, they make the 3N is a standard arbor and a large arbor, I was looking at the large arbor specs. The standard arbor will work on a 5 or 6 wt line.

Larry
    Larry

I've got a pt.5 and a Creek, the Pt.5 has a 6 digit serial number on the foot , the creek has AC1 on it for Able Creek 1. Sorry I can't be more help, 3N should be stamped on the drag, as mentioned earlier capacity is dependent on arbor size, I don't Know why capacity would be stamped on the reel body and not the spool.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure the number on the real has to do with a production number as opposed to providing specific information on reel capacity. From the Abels I have looked at, the lower the number, the earlier they were in the production of that specific model.

This is mostly speculation on my part.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

I own several Abels, and I can tell you with confidence that it is simply the sequential number in the production of that particular model of reel.

It does not designate any capacity or other features. The specs are based on it being a Super 3N, which is the smallest of the Super Series reels.

I hope this helps.