Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2wt Reels

Default 2wt Reels

I am putting together a little 6'6" 2wt pack rod and I am looking for a decent but inexpensive reel for it.

I really dont want to spend more than 90 - 100 bucks.

Any suggestions?
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2wt Reels

Redington Drift 2/3 - $99.95 Fully machined click drag mid arbor reel.

Dennis

Edit: If you don't mind some extra weight for long term durability, look for a Pflueger Medalist 1492. It is discontinued, but there are still some to be had on eBay.
    Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-15-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added something.

Blog Entries

Look at the auction site and search Martin Reels. The old model 63 reels are efficient clickers and can be had in the 10 - 20 dollar price range. I have 4 Martins and one of them is a #63 and for light fishing it functions the same as my Hardy Featherweight.

If you are not in a hurry (yeah right) you can keep checking the sales for an MG-3 Martin. These are a much more refined version of the #63, they have a nice adjustable spring & pawl drag and again are an equal to the Featherweight in both function and appearance. These will sell higher in good shape going 40 - 65 dollars. There are pictures of the two reels I mention on the Reel Love thread, you'll have to page around a while to find them but they're there. They may fill your need, they work and are very affordable also.

Ard

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Why make you look for them? I have the pictures handy,

MG-3

The MG-3 drag mechanism;

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes imxer, caseywise liked this post

Thanks for the pics!

If I don't get one of those for the 2wt, I have an old bamboo 3/4 rod that would be a great match!!

Mosca...I have been looking at those for a while and hoping to find one dip under that 99 mark!
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Blog Entries

I like them and have a sort of collection I guess. There is an MG-9 salmon reel on its way here at this time. They look like the MG-7 but have a much heavier drag system. I will post pictures of it when it arrives.

I'm not all about cheap reels but I am also not blinded to a good value just because the item does not command a high price. Generally when we are using a rod in the 2 weight range we are not expecting to hook steelhead on a big river. With that in mind I would suggest that an old Tuna Can Martin in good shape will satisfy in both looks and performance when plying brook trout waters or just plucking Blue Gills on a local pond.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I ordered a reel from the Angler's Roost website and have been happy with it. It's on my 4wt bamboo, I think it's called the 101. They go for around $50 and are machined. Landed a 5lb trout with it on the 4wt, so the drag did get used. My one complaint is that the instructions for converting to right hand retrieve are very unclear. I fumbled through it, successfully converted the reel, but can't get the spool off... Oh well, for $50 I'm getting good use out of it.

p.s. on my 2wt I have a battenkill barstock, beautiful reel and nice and light for a 6'6" rod. If you get one of those $25 off coupons from Orvis it should put it down in your price range.
    - William

The Cortland Retro 1 reel is a heck of a reel at only $80 or so (seen them on sale at Cabela's for $80 today if I remember right). Light, durable, good looking, and very functional. Definitely a reel worth looking into if you like click pawl reels.

-Chase

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    on my 2wt I have a battenkill barstock, beautiful reel and nice and light for a 6'6" rod. If you get one of those $25 off coupons from Orvis it should put it down in your price range.
    I also have a BBS I on my 2wt. Works great and balance my 6'8" 2wt quite nicely.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chased View Post
    The Cortland Retro 1 reel is a heck of a reel at only $80 or so (seen them on sale at Cabela's for $80 today if I remember right). Light, durable, good looking, and very functional. Definitely a reel worth looking into if you like click pawl reels.

-Chase
    I have an LL Bean Pocketwater reel, which is very similar (made by the same people?) reel. I think it balances my 8'6" 4wt nicely, so it might be a bit heavy for a 6'6" 2wt. The reel works fine, though. I managed to land a 28" carp on it this past summer.

I'm not sure what a 6'6" 2wt weighs, but I can't imagine it being much less than the 1.7oz than the 6'6" 3wt that I often use the Cortland Retro 1 on. The Retro balances nicely on it. I think that the Retro is one of the lighter reels on the market in this price range, but I may be wrong.

-Chase

Have you seen the LL bean Pocket water

Pros: Got great reviews, iron clad guarantee, free shipping, $79.00
    Cons: 3 weight is as lite as they go.

Pocket Water Fly Reel: L.L. Bean Reels | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast