Another request for reel advice

jpwv12

Reaction score
After a previous thread I thought I decided on the Hardy Ultralite but have since determined that it is too "nice" looking. I think I am going to go with something a bit less flashy. The three reels I am contemplating now are the Galvan Torque, Nautilus FWX, and Ross Evolution LT. Which reel, if either, would best pair with a Scott A3 8' 4wt.

Thank you.

Last edited:

thewalker1013

Reaction score
You can find some of the original Evolutions around, still my favorite trout reel and not flashy at all. I have it in #2 and 3 (have a Rhythm 1.5 that goes n my 3 and 4 wts.) They're actually lighter than the newer LT. Like Nautilus but don't own any (yet, maybe my next salty reel, I actually think they're a little flashy for my trout rods), never touched a Galvan

There's my 2 cents, FWIW:cool:

There's also another thread from earlier today about some Ross gear on sale, the Vexsis would be a great value at what they're selling them for

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I still like the black Hardy DD 4000 for your Scott but I also fish Nautilus...the FWX 5/6 might be a good balance with the A3 too. The other reels you mentioned have good reputations but I have not fished with them.

PS: I ignor manufacturer's line size recomendation on reels and go with the size that will balance the rod best. Both the FWX and DD are very light weight for their capacity. My FWX 5/6 was purchased to mate with a new 9'/#4 but it was too light and wound up on a different rod. Yours is an 8' model so it should be better.

jpwv12

Reaction score
I still like the black Hardy DD 4000 for your Scott but I also fish Nautilus...the FWX 5/6 might be a good balance with the A3 too. The other reels you mentioned have good reputations but I have not fished with them.

PS: I ignor manufacturer's line size recomendation on reels and go with the size that will balance the rod best. Both the FWX and DD are very light weight for their capacity. My FWX 5/6 was purchased to mate with a new 9'/#4 but it was too light and wound up on a different rod. Yours is an 8' model so it should be better.
Thanks for the reply. It is nice to have 1st world problems, Hardy DD or Nautilus FWX :). I was wondering which would balance better the 3/4 or 5/6. I appreciate that input.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

You can find some of the original Evolutions around, still my favorite trout reel and not flashy at all. I have it in #2 and 3 (have a Rhythm 1.5 that goes n my 3 and 4 wts.) They're actually lighter than the newer LT. Like Nautilus but don't own any (yet, maybe my next salty reel, I actually think they're a little flashy for my trout rods), never touched a Galvan

There's my 2 cents, FWIW:cool:

There's also another thread from earlier today about some Ross gear on sale, the Vexsis would be a great value at what they're selling them for
I appreciate the reply. I checked out the Vexsis but in the review it said its con is that it has to be kept "meticulously clean". That requirement eliminates it for me.

jpwv12

Reaction score
Galvan torque t-4 black
Yeah, I am torn between the Nautilus and Torque.

Since I am putting it on a 8' 4wt I am leaning toward the Nautilus based on how light it is. The Scott rep said I should target reels that are about 3.5 ozs. The Nautilus is around 3.6-3.8. I think the Torque is 4.5. Also, if i cant find the Torque on ebay for low to mid 200s I cant afford it.

The reviews of the Torque and Galvan in general really sound good. I wonder if the Torque weighs too much to balance my rod?

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Guys,

I wanted to give an update and thank everyone for their replies. Right after my last post I checked out ebay for Torques and noticed a Galvan Spoke for $212. I bid on it and won it at $212. I guess my search for a reel is over. I have successfully upgraded from my Reddington rod and reel to a Scott A3 8' 4wt and a Galvan Spoke (green). Too much reel for that rod since they say you should spend half the amount of the rod on the reel but I can always upgrade the rod in the future.

I am not 100% crazy about the color scheme but thought the deal was too good to pass up as the Galvan is a $390 reel.

Last edited:

nickel

Reaction score
Thats a good deal on the spoke..S4? I think you will find that it will balance nicely on that A3. I believe they have the same drag as the torque. Which line do you have for it?

jpwv12

Reaction score
Thats a good deal on the spoke..S4? I think you will find that it will balance nicely on that A3. I believe they have the same drag as the torque. Which line do you have for it?
No line yet. Rio Trout LT was recommended by someone on this forum, I think. Any recommendations?

nickel

Reaction score
I fish Rio gold and Rio LT both are great lines. For all around general use nymphing under small indicators, roll casting, occasional streamers, etc...I recommend Rio gold. For more specific dry fly, small nymphs, etc... Rio LT

crruns

Reaction score
I wanted to give an update and thank everyone for their replies. Right after my last post I checked out ebay for Torques and noticed a Galvan Spoke for $212. I bid on it and won it at $212. I guess my search for a reel is over. I have successfully upgraded from my Reddington rod and reel to a Scott A3 8' 4wt and a Galvan Spoke (green). Too much reel for that rod since they say you should spend half the amount of the rod on the reel but I can always upgrade the rod in the future.
Whoever said that about what to spend on a reel/ rod sounds like the same people that claim you should spend 2 months salary on an engagement ring! I guess I can put another rod under my reel, as I spent less on my rod than the reel!

Glad to see you were able to get such a nice deal on the reel!

Chad

jpwv12

Reaction score
Whoever said that about what to spend on a reel/ rod sounds like the same people that claim you should spend 2 months salary on an engagement ring! I guess I can put another rod under my reel, as I spent less on my rod than the reel!

Glad to see you were able to get such a nice deal on the reel!

Chad
Ha Ha. That is probably true.

spanishrider

Reaction score
I came here to get some advice on a reel for an early 1900's bamboo rod (8' 6")that I just had recently restored. I haven't fly fished for more than 40 years but decided to restore the rod and use it. I plan on using 5wt fly line to fish some local rivers and streams in Northern California. I'd like to go vintage if that makes any sense. Like I said, I'm just getting back into flyfishing. Thanks.