Hardy Lightweight LRH vs Abel Creek 1

leithel

Reaction score
I really just want to open this up for discussion. These two reels are very close in price. I love the nostalgic appearance of the Hardy. I love the modern machining and durable appearance of the Abel. The open frame on the Abel enables palming. The Hardy is the perfect look for the 7' 6" honey colored glass rod I have in mind for it. Ultimately I know this is my decision. It's actually a fun dilemma. Thanks for looking.

caseywise

Reaction score
first off, welcome to the forum leithel:):)
in answer to your question... i've seen a number of your "honey'' colored glass rods and in my opinion the hardy fits that like a glove.
the abel is also a fine reel, but aesthetically, the LRH has it in the bag:p:D
jmho.

casey

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll echo Casey on both counts, Welcome to the forum and I would just get a Hardy LRH :) Out of curiosity, whose blanks did you use for this rod? I've been thinking of buying a 3 - 4 weight in 6.5 or 7 foot for another winter project.

Ard

leithel

Reaction score
Thank you both so much for the welcome and the responses.
Ard, it is a Lamiglas two piece blank. Reasonably priced and a beautiful color in my opinion.

fishiowa

Reaction score
I really just want to open this up for discussion. These two reels are very close in price. I love the nostalgic appearance of the Hardy. I love the modern machining and durable appearance of the Abel. The open frame on the Abel enables palming. The Hardy is the perfect look for the 7' 6" honey colored glass rod I have in mind for it. Ultimately I know this is my decision. It's actually a fun dilemma. Thanks for looking.
I agree with the others, go with the LRH But, if you were to go with an Abel I would look at the TR1.

leithel

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I bought an LRH. I still lust after an Abel reel though and was curious about your reasons for picking the TR1 over the Creek 1.
I might have to purchase one at a later date. The Sweetgrass Mantra has been calling me and I think either the TR1 or the Creek 1 would look fantastic with the black aluminum reel seat. Thanks, Fred

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Good choice! For the light fishing you would usually do with a 7'6" rod, you would probably rarely need to use the palming rim anyway.

Pocono

Reaction score
I have both reels and the Hardy gets the nod 9 times out of 10, for some reason............

Good choice!

Pocono

jaybo41

Reaction score
+ 1 on LRH. I have several more modern reels that I enjoy fishing with, but since having picked up an LRH, I find myself wanting to fish it more and more. Great reel.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of these choices or companies for that matter, they are both top notch.

leithel

Reaction score
Thank you all for your interest and replies. I won a Steve Jenkins 4wt 7'6" 2 piece fiberglass fly rod recently. Honey colored Lamiglas blank! I've got a couple ideas for fly line, including a Cortland 444 Sylk DT 5wt. I'll leave this topic for another post. Thanks again!