Galvan Spoke or Galvan Torque

jpwv12

Reaction score
I have been presented the opportunity to trade my Galvan Spoke S-4 for a Galvan Torque T-4. I believe I would prefer a Torque but a couple things are making me hesitant. One, the Spoke is much lighter than the Torque and the Spoke costs about $30-$50 more depending on where you purchase them. If you had a Spoke what would you do and why?

nicknick222

Reaction score
You cant go wrong with either of them! And in the smaller sizes, the difference in weight is not much at all. Its more of which one you prefer. Which one balances better with your set up?

jpwv12

Reaction score
You cant go wrong with either of them! And in the smaller sizes, the difference in weight is not much at all. Its more of which one you prefer. Which one balances better with your set up?
Not sure which one balances better. I think it will end up on a Scott A3 8' 4wt or a Scott G2 8'4" 4wt. I believe the weight difference is 0.5 oz. I have never used either but from an aesthetics perspective I definitely like the Torque better. I just dont want to compromise my setup for looks.

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
I can't speak to the performance of the spoke, but can tell you that the Torque is one sweet looking reel with an insanely smooth drag. I actually prefer the look over the spoke, but that's just me. The good news is that either option sets you up with an amazing reel.

jpwv12

Reaction score
I can't speak to the performance of the spoke, but can tell you that the Torque is one sweet looking reel with an insanely smooth drag. I actually prefer the look over the spoke, but that's just me. The good news is that either option sets you up with an amazing reel.
I agree regarding the Torque. I am leaning toward a bronze Torque, maybe black. I dont really like the look of the Spoke but thought the lighter reel on the rods I mentioned would work best. If 0.5 oz wont make much difference I am going with the Torque.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The Spoke has less surface area for the drag disk than the similarly sized Torque.

Is it that important on a 4 weight? You can make that call.

Dennis

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Both great reels from an excellent company. I prefer the look of the Torque, myself. I don't like the look of the Spoke.

I've fished the Torque and it's a fine reel but I don't own it. I own a Galvan Standard - fine fly reel.

If it were me, I'd go with the Torque.

Also an interesting comment regarding the drag surface area.

Cheers,
Mike.

cletus

Reaction score
I own several Torques, outstanding reels. You really can't go wrong with any Galvan, great company, great customer service. I have put a T-4 on each of my 4 weights and it balances them all perfectly. I think it comes down to personal choice and aesthetics. Good luck

stlskyline

Reaction score
I would go for the t4. I like the look better. I have it in silver. The drag is great. Plus they stand behind their product. Earlier post a few months ago will attest.