Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Reel for Redington CT 3 weight

Default Reel for Redington CT 3 weight

I just snagged (OK, bought) a 7'6" Classic Trout 3 weight from Cabela's. Couldn't resist the $75 price tag.

I've got the rod in a 9' 4 weight and have really enjoyed it.

The 3 weight target waters are smaller New Mexico rivers, which are, generally, pretty small streams 5-20' wide. While there are occasional pigs in these waters, the fish are usually pretty small - 6-15".

I'd like recommendations for a reel. I'm willing to go as high as $120 or so, and would like something light and balanced for the rod.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

Default Re: Reel for Redington CT 3 weight

This would do the job nicely, balance well, and look great doing it as well.

[ame=http://compare.ebay.com/like/300810889099?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va r=sbar]NEW! REDINGTON DRIFT 2/3 WT FLY REEL, TITANIUM on eBay![/ame]

Or you could go with the 3/4, but it would change the balance.

Or the redington Rise they have been on sale lately and I just got the burnt orange and it seems like a great little reel, have not used it yet though

I have 3 Okuma SLVs and none of them have failed me so far.. you can snag'em on the auction site for $40-60.. actually have a 2/3 SLV on my 8'6" 3wt CT

This is the reel i use on the exact same rod. I bought it from a guy on the UK forum (sister site of this forum).
    Its a cracker. Well machined, very light, and balances the rod perfectly!
    Comes with a neoprene pouch, and the guy is a stand up guy, if there's any problems with it, he'll do hit best to rectify it.

Bob,
    I use the Cortland Retro '1' Click and Pawl drag reel on my CT 8' 3wt rod. It balances the rod well and looks great. I did a review of the reel a couple of months ago on this forum in the tackle section. You can see the pictures in the review post.

The reel is fully machined, very light, has ample backing capacity (not that you would ever need it) and the adjustable click and pawl drag is perfect on a light trout reel. It also has the nice retro look which I personally prefer on my light trout rods. Finally, it cost me ~ $75 new.

7. Likes fishiowa liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
    Bob,
    I use the Cortland Retro '1' Click and Pawl drag reel on my CT 8' 3wt rod. It balances the rod well and looks great. I did a review of the reel a couple of months ago on this forum in the tackle section. You can see the pictures in the review post.

The reel is fully machined, very light, has ample backing capacity (not that you would ever need it) and the adjustable click and pawl drag is perfect on a light trout reel. It also has the nice retro look which I personally prefer on my light trout rods. Finally, it cost me ~ $75 new.
    Echos my thoughts exactly. I think Cabela's has them on sale now for $80, which is an absolute steal in my eyes.