Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Martin 61 line weights?

I am going to have a new Martin 61 coming soon. I think it is probably a 5-7 weight, but I am not sure. Does anyone on here know? This is my first tuna can reel. It was very reasonably priced. I couldn't pass it up. I am afraid I have become a reel addict. Oh, and this is also my first Martin fly reel.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

2. Likes Ard liked this post

Default Re: Martin 61 line weights?

I had myself one of them.. drove me nuts.. so loud.. but i would say it's gonna hold a maximum of 5wt line.. you wanna have a nice supply of backing on these reels or your line.. no matter how supple.. will coil from how tight it winds your line.. as it just winds onto whats maybe a 1/2" thick spool

4. Likes kelkay liked this post

Well I do have a WF4I line. It is my last new line. If this is a maximum of 5 wt, that is surprising. Thank you for your thoughts. I like loud reels. I like the noise when it reels in, and when drag is pulled out. I have not found one yet too loud for me. I do have a Daiwa 731A, it is a nice reel for normal use...but not sound when drag is pulled. I hate that. I will see what a consensus here says too. I saw one reel photo, and it said DT6, so that is why I thought 5-7 wt... I have never seen one in person though. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer on this.

Blog Entries

yep, i'm pretty sure the 61 is 4/5 weight reel.

casey

ARFE

7. Likes kelkay liked this post

Well that is fine if it is. I have a 4/5 wt rod, and I can use it on that. It is graphite, but I bet it won't be too heavy for it. Only one way to find out.

9. Likes caseywise liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi kelly,

I saw your message about this reel but had no answer because I did not know the diameter of the #61. Almost all the tuna can reels are light weight light line reels. If you want larger reels in the Martin reels you'll have to look to the MG-7 or MG-75, both of these will hold a DT 6 and plenty of back line. Sorry for not getting back sooner,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

11. Likes kelkay liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
    Well I do have a WF4I line. It is my last new line. If this is a maximum of 5 wt, that is surprising. Thank you for your thoughts. I like loud reels. I like the noise when it reels in, and when drag is pulled out. I have not found one yet too loud for me. I do have a Daiwa 731A, it is a nice reel for normal use...but not sound when drag is pulled. I hate that. I will see what a consensus here says too. I saw one reel photo, and it said DT6, so that is why I thought 5-7 wt... I have never seen one in person though. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer on this.
    oh yeah.. mine made plenty of noise when i tied into a couple 30"+ pike earlier this year before I sold the rod it was attached to.. which sounds fine.. makes the fight sound that much more epic.. but beyond that.. no thank you

Thanks Ard.

Well, some like the sound, some don't. I haven't heard the sound yet. So I cannot comment. There can be sweet sounds, just plain MUSIC, or just horrible grating type noise. So far I have been happy with all my reels on sound. Like I said, I want a reel to have sound on the drag too, and some of my reels DON'T have that, and that is the main drawback for me.

Martin 61 has no drag

15. Default Re: Martin 61 line weights?

Ok, Look 'reel' close.

This is a martin model 61, still in the package(and should be on my doorstep tomorrow!). In case you cant read the package, it says its for 6,7,8 wt fly line. I have several of these reels and I think they are perfect for 3-5wts. They are easy to modify if you don't like the loud sound. They are very light, 3.25oz. and 3" in diameter. Great value, paid $13 shipped for that NIB one.
    Loaded up with backing and a wf5f and it's pretty much a large arbor. No worries about line coils. These are few of mine, the top reel has a 5wt, bottom a 4wt line. probably 125' of backing.

Here's a picture showing them on my 3wt Redington CT's (on the right).

16. Likes Ard, kelkay, leithel, gissa1 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast