Best reel for Winston 8' 4wt tmf ?

45srbest

Reaction score
Need help with suggestions. Not a very popular rod it seems, but I like it. Need to search out a well balanced reel for it and would appreciate ideas. Thanks in advance folks!

comeonavs

Reaction score
What is your budget? The new Lamson Konics look pretty nice. I am a huge Ross reel fan, love my evolutions.

Be cautious of ultra light reels like the click or purist. I have both but unless they are on a super light rod like a TXL or Circa they feel awkward ....too light

leithel

Reaction score
Congratulations again on your new rod purchase. I just replied to your post in the fly rod forum. I too have been reel shopping lately. I'm very fortunate to have access to quite a few different reels. Lately I have really been into the click pawl reels. I just received an Abel TR2 in the mail that is quite nice. I'm not sure the clicker reels are for everyone though. I have several Lamson reels with the sweetest smoothest drag and as the previous poster said the Lamson Konic can be had for a very reasonable price right now. I have a Konic 1.5 on an Echo Carbon 8' 4wt for a truck rod that is just unbeatable. The ideal situation would be to take the rod to a few fly shops and try some reels on it, keeping in mind that spooled up with line out the tip will make the balance a little different. Not sure that is possible for many people though. Good luck again on your reel search.

45srbest

Reaction score
Thank you for your ideas. The budget is probably about $300 for the reel and line. The place I ordered my rod from included SA VPT line with it, but I am always open to a better way. Thanks again.

cletus

Reaction score
The TMF is my favorite rod. I use an Abel Creek on it. It's the only click and pawl reel I have but I find it perfect for that rod and the the type of fishing I do with it. I have used both a Rio Selective Trout II DT4 and a Wulff Triangle Taper on it. Both work well but I would give the edge to a DT4. Good luck and have fun with the rod!

jaybo41

Reaction score
The TMF is my favorite rod. I use an Abel Creek on it. It's the only click and pawl reel I have but I find it perfect for that rod and the the type of fishing I do with it. I have used both a Rio Selective Trout II DT4 and a Wulff Triangle Taper on it. Both work well but I would give the edge to a DT4. Good luck and have fun with the rod!
That sounds like one nice setup you've got Cletus. An Abel Creek is a great suggestion and one I didn't think of. I posted in the OP's other thread over in the Rod section that my vote would be for a Hardy Lightweight Series or CFO with DT line. Any of those three reels would be great pairing with this rod.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I just got a TMF too and was mulling the same question. I think a Hardy Featherweight, Orvis CFO 123 or CFO III (old English-made model), or Red Truck Diesel 3/4 would all be handsome matches. I already have a couple of those so it's just a matter of finding the right line. If I didn't already have other reels and wanted to save a few bucks, I'd be tempted to try the LL Bean Pocket Water, which has nice classic styling for only $79.

delopez

Reaction score
There are couple of reels around that price range that I would consider, first of all, the ross evolution is always a great choice. Another, is a Waterworks-Lamson Lightspeed which is an incredible reel. Another incredible reel is the Nautilus FWX. Check them out... They all have fantastic drag systems on them. :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi & Welcome to the forum,

How soon will you begin using the rod? I don't see your location in your posting stats (a really nice touch so we know where you are) but if you are entering winter I would save my money and go for the big enchilada.

Yeah right, save money.............. it can be done by a determined person ;) I am going to guess that owning that Winston was a sort of benchmark for you and if this is true I would put the very nicest reel on it I could, while figuring to own the pair until I passed on. What do I mean "the very nicest" reel? I'm thinking one of the rare Winston Perfects' in 3 1/8" finished in Winston Green and made by those guys at Hardy back in the 80's and 90's. These come for sale on the e Bay and I have seen them go as low as 500 dollars before! There are also the Baby Bougle 3" reels from Hardy in the Champagne Spitfire kinda finish, these are outstanding reels also. A St. George 3" in your choice of left or right winding would do real well with a Winston rod as well.

I'll leave that as my three suggestions, no I don't work for Hardy. Those Bougles are selling around 500 new and better in mint used shape. They are a piece of engineering to say the least.

If you buy the same reel as everyone else what will make your rod a special thing........

Just Say'en,

Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Then there's that brand new Hardy Princess that Fred may sell.................... That would make a fine reel also. I don't care for little tiny & weightless reels on a fly rod over 6.5 feet. The Princess would be a very good match to an * foot rod I think. I know its a 4 weight but .......... The bigger the reel the prettier they are :D

S

sbreech

I would select one of these reels:

1.) Nautilus FWX 3/4

2.) Abel TR 2

3.) Abel Creek 1

biggie_robs

Reaction score
Another option, if you would like a disk drag, is the Bauer MXP. Its drag is probably overkill, but it's awesome.

Last edited:

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I am going to guess that owning that Winston was a sort of benchmark for you and if this is true I would put the very nicest reel on it I could, while figuring to own the pair until I passed on. What do I mean "the very nicest" reel? I'm thinking one of the rare Winston Perfects' in 3 1/8" finished in Winston Green and made by those guys at Hardy back in the 80's and 90's. These come for sale on the e Bay and I have seen them go as low as 500 dollars before! There are also the Baby Bougle 3" reels from Hardy in the Champagne Spitfire kinda finish, these are outstanding reels also. A St. George 3" in your choice of left or right winding would do real well with a Winston rod as well.

I'll leave that as my three suggestions, no I don't work for Hardy. Those Bougles are selling around 500 new and better in mint used shape. They are a piece of engineering to say the least.

If you buy the same reel as everyone else what will make your rod a special thing........

Ard
Oh, well then. If you want to follow that philosophy you might also check out Willow reels. I saw them at a show and they are jewels.

Willow Classic Reels

Or buy a Saracione directly from Tom Morgan himself.

Tom Morgan Troutrods - Saracione Reels

45srbest

Reaction score
I thank everyone for their responses. I sort of understand the Abel creek, but is there any adjustment you can make with your fingers? I like the reel looking on the internet, but no place near me I can look at one. Any info. would be appreciated.

fishiowa

Reaction score
I thank everyone for their responses. I sort of understand the Abel creek, but is there any adjustment you can make with your fingers? I like the reel looking on the internet, but no place near me I can look at one. Any info. would be appreciated.
You can make the adjustment with your fingers but you have to remove the spool to do it. Inside there are two cams that turn to adjust the amount of tension on the spring. One for outgoing and one for incoming. No external adjustment.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The way one fishes a delicate 8'/#4 like the TMF, lovely small stream environments, suggests that powerful disc-drag reels are superfluous. Whether old like early CFO or other Hardy reels like LRH or new like the click Abels, the reel should balance the rod nicely in weight and aesthetics. This is an outfit designed for charm rather than high performance and, as much as I so often recommend reels (that would work in this case too) like Nautilus FWX and Hardy Ultralite DD (I am still tentative on Speedster having yet to examin it), I personally fish a CFO on my little 8'/#4. I don't recall asking back when that rod was introduced if T. Morgan himself used one of those now collectible green Perfects or not but, Like HR said, it would be very cool.

Jackster

Reaction score
I've been very happy with the English made Orvis CFO on my TMF.

If not that, a Hardy Featherweight would be a great match up and far easier to find no doubt. Probably less worry on your pocketbook too.