Do I need an extra spool

jpwv12

Reaction score
Was thinking about buying an extra spool for my torque. One for floating line and one for sinking tip. Do you guys actually use multiple spools? I have a good deal on a Galvan Torque T4 for $100 new. Would you guys suggest buying an extra spool or just sticking with the reel?

williamhj

Reaction score
Extra spools can be handy. If you like to switch between floating and sinking line while out on the water, carrying an extra spool rather than an extra reel takes up less space and weighs less (also costs less).

plecain

Reaction score
Yes on the spool. If you drop it, the spool usually is the first casualty.
Getting new spools later is often not possible.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I like having the extra reel. It's insurance in case anything happen to reel "A" and it's just as easy to change out, maybe ever easier.
That said, sometime the price dictates the extra spool's advantage.

Once I saw a bargain on-line close-out sale for spools matching of my reels so I ordered one.
Not only did they send me two spools instead of one, but only charged me 2/3 the listed asking price.
They must have really wanted to get rid of them :D

itchmesir

Reaction score
Extra spools are nice insurance.. drop the reel.. crack the spool.. no need to sit and wait for a new one.. and unless you want to drop $150 on a VersiTip or similar line systems.. I see it being the next best option for making your rod versatile

S

sbreech

Another thing to consider is that a reel might be good for more than one size... Say you have a 3wt and a 4wt rod. 1 Nautilus FWx 3/4 will cost around $250. 2 will cost you $500. OR, 1 reel and a spare spool will only cost $300-$325 and will serve for both rods (unless you're sharing your equipment with friends).

jpwv12

Reaction score
If the reel was only $100, I would buy 2 reels instead of 1 and an extra spool. Then I would have an excuse to buy another rod too.
Torque's are about $350 so that option is definitely out.