Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on buying a new reel

1. Default advice on buying a new reel

Can anyone give me some info on picking up a new reel. Im between the Orvis Mirage or a reel from the Hardy company. Any info is appreciated. Tight lines!

Blog Entries

Default Re: advice on buying a new reel

You must ride a motorcycle,

Welcome to the Fly Fishing Forum; I don't think you can go wrong with either the Orvis or the Hardy. I have a bunch of each and they are all super reels. There is a thread here; Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread with about every reel you could want on it.

What size rod are you looking to put a reel on? Also, what are you fishing for and in what part of the country, this is the kind of info that will fine tune your replies.

Ard

PS. There's a thread for bike pictures too; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...otorcycle.html

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Default Re: advice on buying a new reel

Yes i do ride a motorcycle! I just bought a 6 weight orvis helios. I want to use it for bass fishing as well and big trout on my home river the Farmington. I am from Connecticut so there are lots of lakes and just a little over 4 hour ride there is also really good steelhead and walleye fishing. Thanks for the post!

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Yes i do ride a motorcycle! I just bought a 6 weight orvis helios. I want to use it for bass fishing as well and big trout on my home river the Farmington. I am from Connecticut so there are lots of lakes and just a little over 4 hour ride there is also really good steelhead and walleye fishing. Thanks for the post! For the Hardy reels i was looking at the Angel 2 or the fortuna

Why not the Hardy DD or CC reels? The Fortuna is more towards the saltwater fishing and I think the lightest it comes is an 8 weight.

The Angel 2 seems like a great reel, I am a big fan of Hardy myself. Love the DD reel. Have not used a CC but I would imagine it is just as good quality as all their reels.

5. Default Re: advice on buying a new reel

I havent looked into those reels but i definitely will now. I just wanna get the best reel as far as power and highest quality i can get.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
    Why not the Hardy DD or CC reels? The Fortuna is more towards the saltwater fishing and I think the lightest it comes is an 8 weight.

The Angel 2 seems like a great reel, I am a big fan of Hardy myself. Love the DD reel. Have not used a CC but I would imagine it is just as good quality as all their reels.
    X2 on the Hardy Ultralite DD! Couldn't be happier with my DD 4000; quality and price are excellent.
    Last edited by wannafish; 12-13-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: added something
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Hello,

I use Hardy and also Orvis reels - both brands are pretty good reels and in my opinion they have a classic design.
    Best regards from Germany,

THORSTEN

I too recommend the Hardy Ultralite DD 6000. The Angel is a very fine reel too but unless its exotic aesthetics knock you out, the DD is a newer more advanced design. Fortuna X is one of the finest reels on the planet but way too heavy and performance overkill for your #6 H. That Cornwall Bridge area has some fine springtime hatches.

I have not written about this reel here before and it certainly deserves mention; this is an early British-built first generation model:

9. Likes jaybo41, pete a liked this post

For a similar price as the Orvis Mirage, you can get a Bauer Rogue.

11. Default Re: advice on buying a new reel

I have one year of flyfishing experience and if anyone is up for getting together this spring gor some fishing hit me up. I could use a few flyfishing buddies as i would appreciaye any knowledge and know how i can get! Also the aesthetics of the angel do blow me away as does the mirage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast